Is it possible to go it alone WFH as a freelance front end web developer?

(6 Posts)
SimLondon Fri 06-Sep-13 16:07:57

I've freelance (contracted) for large companies/banks/digital media agencies for many years in London and would like to WFH and just bill on a time/materials basis.

I'm wondering if the market is saturated?

jemjabella Mon 16-Sep-13 19:37:56

In my experience, the market is better than it has ever been - I am earning more working from home for a few hours a day than I did working for an agency.

(I'm a developer too, though mostly backend.)

MugsLife Wed 18-Sep-13 16:08:53

I think there's definitely room for freelancers. When you say front end - what skills do you have? You might need to adapt a little to offer more. My work experience has been mostly what you might call front end client side, but now I'm freelancing as a web designer making bespoke Wordpress themes. Small business are looking to avoid expensive agencies that and don't necessarily want to go DIY and use pre-made templates. My projects have been for friends and friends of friends so far, so it's very much about them feeling they can trust me to do a good job and not rip them off. Early days for me however so we shall see how it goes!

SimLondon Sun 22-Sep-13 09:56:28

Thanks both, jemjabella can I ask how you find work? I was thinking of contacting local agencies and seeing if they wanted to outsource any work.

armadillosocial Thu 10-Oct-13 12:06:48

I have just set up as a social media consultant. It's very early days and I did my website myself in Wordpress (although I have no coding skills at all).

However, down the line, I imagine hope that some of my clients may also want full blown web design which I can't offer. At that point I would want to team up with someone like you.

It's not an offer wink but there may be other people in a similar position.

SunnyLeon Mon 28-Apr-14 06:25:56

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now