career in counselling

(6 Posts)
mummyreynolds1 Tue 30-Jul-13 17:53:44

I am a qualified counsellor and have to admit that after studying for 4 years and paying over £10,000 for courses, books, weekends away part of the diploma, working voluntary to fulfil the requirements , i have not been able to as yet gain employment in the NHS as i am not yet accredited , you have to wait 3 years after qualifying to apply and have minimum of 450 client hours etc,
My son is just 8 months old i am returning to work part time, and just about to start my own private practice by renting a room in an already established counselling practice , hoping to build clients and give up my other job,
I have to be truthful and say finding paid work is very difficult but voluntary work is plentiful, frustrating really as i can work for the nhs for free and they accept my qualification level but not for paid ..... just a sign of the times if you can get someone to work for free why pay them?
Someone mentioned BACP accredited course – yes these are the only ones you should do as they are fully recognised, i think for starter courses /tasters it’s not important but looking for diploma etc definitely BACP accredited.

CosmicG Sun 28-Jul-13 13:01:36

is it quite important to study courses that are BACP accredited?

Witco Sat 27-Jul-13 21:48:11

I'm currently studying for a degree in Counselling & Psychotherapy so will be watching this with interest. I understand it takes time to build up a practice and some supplement their incomes with other, part-time work

Punkatheart Sat 27-Jul-13 13:07:07

I have a friend who is a counsellor and she has deterred another friend - too expensive to train and it takes too long...

cjel Sat 13-Jul-13 16:07:42

don't have experience -yet- but am 3 years in training with 2 more to go so would be interested, we were shown a graph on how many clients for so much income , but you have to realise its not healthy to have too many clients!!

CosmicG Sat 13-Jul-13 15:43:24

Anyone on here, work as a counsellor or has a desire to work as a counsellor? Its just something I have started to think about and want to hear about others experience in this field....whether you worked self employed or for NHS. Are there many opportunities out there to work as a counsellor?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now