I can't butter bread

(42 Posts)
Hurr1cane Sat 14-Jun-14 12:34:47

I'm not even joking. I can do toast but whenever I try to butter bread all the bread breaks and I just end up with horrible lumps of butter everywhere and holey bread hmm

why can't I butter bread?

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Sat 14-Jun-14 12:35:35

Your butter is too cold.

ScrambledEggAndToast Sat 14-Jun-14 12:35:38

Leave the butter out til it softens a bit, usually helps.

HopOnMyChooChoo Sat 14-Jun-14 12:37:25

Either your butter is too cold or your bread is too dry.

Hurr1cane Sat 14-Jun-14 12:39:14

The butter seems soft. I've tried leaving it out and doing the 'scrape it a few times with a knife to make it even more soft' but I still get holes in the bread. It's a fresh pack of brown bread from spar today.

butter doesn't need to be kept in the fridge

Hurr1cane Sat 14-Jun-14 12:40:26

Doesn't it?

DP seems to manage with the same butter and bread confused

posted too soon. If you keep it in the fridge then your butter will be too cold to spread

SecretRed Sat 14-Jun-14 12:42:07

Great thread title. Can just imagine a daily mail style sad face whilst saying it. grin

nah course not, butter has been around much longer than fridges

SavoyCabbage Sat 14-Jun-14 12:44:28

I think it's your butter temperature. Can you take a knob, that's a technical butter term I'll have you know, put it on the microwave for literally three seconds, then spread.

Or put it on your radiator.

Do you have a butter dish? Preferably with a cow on. Or Douglas.

Bread too doughy? Try different sort of loaf? I second the butter in microwave for few seconds.

Hurr1cane Sat 14-Jun-14 12:49:15

I do keep it in the fridge! I'll try warning it then!

I don't have a butter dish, or a bread bin.

Hahaha daily mail sad face! I can cook reasonably well but I just can't butter bread. I don't like butter, but DP does and I was trying to make him a bacon butty this morning and shouted up "why don't you want toast? I can't butter bread!"

bonzo77 Sat 14-Jun-14 12:50:25

Leave the butter out. In a china butter dish (cooler than plastic or metal). Ours holds a whole packet of butter, which lasts over a week, and doesn't go rancid even in this warm weather.

Hurr1cane Sat 14-Jun-14 12:51:59

I don't think we'd use a whole tub if butter in a week though :/ I don't like it, DS doesn't eat much that uses it and DP is only around one day a week ish.

Kveta Sat 14-Jun-14 12:53:38

cheap bread and cold butter are a recipe for disaster!

I started getting spreadable butter though, which makes life a wee bit simpler

Hurr1cane Sat 14-Jun-14 12:55:13

The butter is lurpack spreadable, the bread is warburtons whole meal bread, if that makes a difference? I'm going to practice bread buttering later

our lurpack spreadable lives out of the fridge most of the time. It gets put in the fridge occasionally. Usually lasts a few weeks, never gone rancid so far to my knowledge

Sleepysheepsleeping Sat 14-Jun-14 13:01:20

Just separate a whole butter block then into what you will use in a week, buy a butter dish and keep it out the fridge. Proper butter not lurpak spreadable. Honestly I never used butter before I started storing it out the fridge but is so much nicer than marge.

Hurr1cane Sat 14-Jun-14 13:08:40

Thanks for all the advice smile DP will only eat lurpack, he's a bit strange with his food. But I will definitely separate a bit out a week to use!

Hurr1cane Sat 14-Jun-14 13:12:20

DP now says he hates when butter is soft and then said "urrrggggh" and said I'm not allowed to leave his lurpack out of the fridge hmm why can he butter the bread fine with fridge butter but I can't?

PenguinBear Sat 14-Jun-14 13:17:49

I thought anything other than a 'real' block of butter ended to be kept in the fridge.
The only butter we use is the blocks though so am not sure with the spreadable stuff!

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 14-Jun-14 13:20:59

Real butter all year except for the 8 weeks when it gets soft and we use spreadable

DH got rid of my Douglas butter dish and I have never really forgiven him

RebekahMacd Sat 14-Jun-14 13:30:43

Maybe he can't butter it easily and just eats it in large lumps on the bread? ;)

OwlCapone Sat 14-Jun-14 13:37:44

Apparently my paternal grandmother used to say "take care of the edges and the middle will take care of itself". It seems she is more or less right - if you butter around the edges, you end up with enough in the middle too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now