Take one butternut squash....

(10 Posts)

I have a butternut squash in the fridge. Not quite sure what to do with it. I bought it last week ago thinking it would go in a lamb stew when the weather was chilly, but that doesn't feel right now, and I don't have the requisite lamb, and I want to use it "summer style" over the weekend before it goes off.

Part of a salad? Would it go on kebab sticks? I don't know, please inspire me!

It's lovely cubed and roasted with garlic and chilli put into a salad warm with torn mozzarella to balance the chilli, or stuff the cubed squash into pittas with cucumber dip ( tzatisomething is the proper name)

Also worth halving and roasting then stuffing for the last ten minutes with goats cheese and chunky breadcrumbs- makes for a crunchy cheeses delicious squash boat.

sausagefortea Fri 06-Jun-14 14:17:24

Cubed and Oven roasted with red onions as a roast accompaniment. Nice with a bit of cumin too.

Or with spaghetti. Oven roast small cubes in some olive oil with some whole garlic cloves. Cook some spaghetti. Fry in a bit of butter (well, I like a fair bit of butter as it's going to be the sauce for the pasta) a finely chopped red chilli and some pine nuts. When the squash is a bit toasty and soft then put with the spaghetti, chilli and pine nuts. Squash the cloves into in it as well. Mix it all up with a bit of pasta water and a tbsp or so of Parmesan. Last minute stir in some rocket.

Fay ripley does a nice one where you half the squash and scoop out the seeds. Then chop the top bit off and cut up into chunks then roast it all for about a n hour. Then you put the cubed squash back in the scooped out bit with some breadcrumbs, possibly mushrooms and cheese? Was quite nice but very very butternut squashy!

I also like it in soup. Oven roast first and then whizz into some stock with a bit of onion in it.

Just de seed and roast. Makes very tasty chips.

A squash risotto is also sublime

sausagefortea Fri 06-Jun-14 14:19:20

Butternut squash rissotto is very nice too. Think I've par boiled small cubes and then pan fried and then just did the usual rissotto type stuff. Think Jamie o has a good butternut squash risotto recipe.

Thanks all. I did think of risotto after if posted actually but wasn't quite sure how to approach that so I will hunt down Jamie or other recipe. And love the roasted warm squash in a salad idea. Might be doing a bit of both over the weekend! All yummy. Thx. grin

couldthisbeit Fri 06-Jun-14 18:45:21
Longdistance Fri 06-Jun-14 18:48:31

I agree. Oven roast it, and whack it in a salad/cous cous. It will be delicious with herbs and/or garlic added when roasting.

Don't worry about it going off, they last months!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now