Using up egg whites ... without a blender/mixer

(25 Posts)
bubblegoose Fri 07-Mar-14 16:09:10

I have 16 egg whites. Ideas? No meringues as I don't have a beater.

MothershipG Fri 07-Mar-14 16:13:04

Freeze them and go out and buy a handheld mixer, Tescos sell them for £5.50, or you will get completely sick of spinach and egg white omelette! wink

mamababa Fri 07-Mar-14 16:14:31

You can hand whisk them with a balloon whisk. Just wipe the bowl/whisk with lemon juice or vinegar and it works well. Exercise too grin

bubblegoose Fri 07-Mar-14 16:27:34

No cheap handheld mixers where I live. I might freeze them though, that's a good idea. No balloon whisk either! I have a knife and fork and that's about it.

MothershipG Fri 07-Mar-14 16:51:04

Omelette it is then! wink

bubblegoose Fri 07-Mar-14 17:01:41

Haha. Oh well. Boring but better for me than a nice fat pavlova.

They go well in cocktails. Haven't got a recipe though bit like a fish out of water there, but I'm sure you'll find one you like.

caffeinated Sat 08-Mar-14 19:29:13

What have you used all the yolks for? I have the opposite problem.

can't for the life of me think what you might have needed 16 yolks for that didn't require a whisk?

Carbonara for 30?

unlucky83 Sat 08-Mar-14 19:35:09

Might be pointing out the obvious -but batch freeze or you'll have the same problem...
Dead easy to hand whisk 3-4 to meringue ... (used to work somewhere we did that to order for baked alaska)...
Egg yolks - any custard based thing - (I could murder a creme brulee right now) - or lemon curd...
Or hollandaise ...

LakeFlyPie Sat 08-Mar-14 19:39:10

Just a few minutes ago I noticed a macaroon recipe in DC Worst Witch bookday freebie which looks remarkably easy:

175g ground almonds + 175g caster sugar to 2 egg whites
Mix all ingredients, put walnut size balls of mixture on baking sheet lined with baking paper.
12-15 mins in 180 oven

caffeinated carbonara sauce for pasta with egg yolks?

TheDietStartsTomorrow Sat 08-Mar-14 22:57:35

Soufflé? Fat-free cake? Macaroons? I think I'd go for am omelette though. I am supposed to be on a diet...

bubblegoose Mon 10-Mar-14 21:06:04

Thanks everyone!

I have frozen them and will be trying some of these recipes. Will definitely give those macaroons a go.

I made passionfruit curd - had loads of passionfruits and got a bit carried away. It's utterly divine though, no regrets! Just lots of egg whites.

LakeFlyPie Mon 10-Mar-14 22:07:46

Passionfruit curd, that sounds delicious.

Any chance of posting the recipe?

I'm guessing it wasn't in the Worst Witch Bookday freebie grin

bubblegoose Tue 11-Mar-14 03:58:35

you go, Lake http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22190/passionfruit+curd.

It is gorgeous and very easy (am not blessed in the kitchen department).

bubblegoose Tue 11-Mar-14 04:00:19
Shimmyshimmy Tue 11-Mar-14 07:58:13

Make some friands, lovely little almond cakes with whatever fruit you have available.

Tobagostreet Tue 11-Mar-14 08:05:50

Is passion fruit pulp just the insides scooped out? Do you sieve to remove the seeds, or are they left in the curd?

sausagefortea Tue 11-Mar-14 10:48:53

I freeze yolks or whites and use them as egg wash for pastry.

bubblegoose Tue 11-Mar-14 12:21:24

Ooh, I like the look of friands, never heard of them before.

Tobago I just used the pulp as is, but you could sieve out the seeds if you don't like that crunchy texture.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 11-Mar-14 12:29:07

I was going to suggest sweets/marzipan.

As far as I remember you just mix a wee bit if white with a lot if icing sugar and add a wee bit if flavouring/colouring/(ground almonds for marzipan)

It makes a dough like consistency. Roll it and slice it, then dip the bits in melted dark chocolate and leave to dry/harden

Shimmyshimmy Tue 11-Mar-14 13:10:53

Friands are really popular in Australia - often eaten as a morning cake, love them with blueberries or raspberries, rhubarb too.

LakeFlyPie Wed 12-Mar-14 22:16:26

Thanks bubblegoose that looks delicious

GingerMaman Wed 12-Mar-14 22:18:21

A nice spicy omelette with cheese in the middle.

eeky Mon 17-Mar-14 22:25:35

Definitely friends to use up a lot of egg whites. BBC good food has good recipes for them - they really are delicious, like a sort of denser version of a muffin, but much more buttery and delicate, with a crisp exterior. Great as a store cupboard quick dessert, made with frozen berries or pretty much any fresh fruit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now