What spices go in a chilli, other than chilli?

(29 Posts)
Atari Mon 11-Nov-13 15:34:52

I know i can taste something else when i have a good one but every recipie i have just specifies chilli/chillies

tb Sat 16-Nov-13 15:45:40

Cumin and ground dried bay leaves. Oh, and oregano as well, too.

lolalotta Wed 13-Nov-13 16:35:13

Second the dark chocolate...tastes amazing in chilli!!!! grin

VeryStressedMum Wed 13-Nov-13 11:59:38

The easiest chilli con carne is fry the onion and garlic, add the mince brown it. Add chilli powder, ground cumin and ground coriander, no exact quantities but add quite a bit or it won't taste of much. Then chuck in a tin of chopped tomatoes, beef stock cube and pepper and simmer for at least half an hour. At the end add salt to taste.

I use beer rather than hot water/stock. Yum!

lalalonglegs Tue 12-Nov-13 21:40:16

I use half tomatoes/half strong black coffee to stew the meat down in (as well as toasted cumin and oregano as flavourings). It's super-yummy - it takes a good 2-3 hours but I cook it in huge batches and freeze for future use.

MyBoilsAreFab Tue 12-Nov-13 20:56:58

I sometimes put some creamed coconut in as well as chilli, cumin, cinnamon and coriander. Tinned green lentils are nice in it too.

MuffCakes Tue 12-Nov-13 20:53:26

Yes mrs,

mrspremise Tue 12-Nov-13 20:47:01

when you say hot chocolate do you mean cocoa powder?

lisbapalea Mon 11-Nov-13 18:43:34

Chipotle chilli paste is amazing for a chilli. I use that as well as cumin, cinnamon and oregano, with fresh coriander to serve.

Hulababy Mon 11-Nov-13 18:41:00

I put in: ground cumin, ground coriander, crushed cardoman pods and ground cinnamon. I usually use sweet chilli sauce instead of chilli peppers.

Selks Mon 11-Nov-13 17:13:42

I use cumin, smoked paprika, cocoa powder, tomato puree, garlic, and cinnamon in mine.

MuffCakes Mon 11-Nov-13 17:11:40

slug I just spoon a spoonful or two of hot chocolate, works just as well.

Also stewing beef instead of mince beef. Cook it down for at least 3 hours mmmm know what I'm making this week now.

slug Mon 11-Nov-13 16:29:04

A square or two of dark, high cocoa content chocolate works wonders as well.

DH crumbles in a little black pudding. You can't taste it as such, but it adds a deep meaty flavour.

mrspremise Mon 11-Nov-13 16:19:48

Blended chilli powder, cumin and oregano.

Grennie Mon 11-Nov-13 15:51:27

I only use chilli, black pepper and tomato puree.

oversomeniagara Mon 11-Nov-13 15:47:56

I add smoked paprika and cayenne to the above list too. I also chop in a few anchovies (doesn't taste of fish but makes it really rich and meaty).

Atari Mon 11-Nov-13 15:47:15

That's brilliant, thank you

MuffCakes Mon 11-Nov-13 15:46:46

I use smoked paprika, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne pepper instead of chilli, think it tastes nicer and is hot like chilli powder but more flavour.

stillstandingatthebusstop Mon 11-Nov-13 15:43:31

I put chilli flakes, a bit of garlic (I think), ground ginger for warmth and fresh coriander in my chilli. (And salt and pepper of course). No recipe. It is delicious.

beachedwhalesarecool Mon 11-Nov-13 15:40:50

Smoked paprika is also good in a chilli.

I use Cumin, paprika, cinnamon and garlic and add chopped fresh coriander at the end.

Chilli as in Chilli con carne? I add cumin and thyme.

MissPlumBroughtALadder Mon 11-Nov-13 15:39:48

I made tempeh chilli last night - was delicious! I put in cumin, coriander, cinnamon, chilli, tamari, pepper, salt and a teaspoon of coconut sugar.
Other ingredients were onion, garlic, olive oil, tempeh, tinned tomatoes, tomato purée and red kidney beans.

DoTheStrand Mon 11-Nov-13 15:39:34

I second OldLady's recipe, it's delicious and makes the whole house smell amazing while it's cooking.

Leopoldina Mon 11-Nov-13 15:38:53

there you go, old lady is right- it's cinnamon not ginger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now