I have bananas, flour, sugar, milk, butter, veg oil but NO EGGS - is cake possible?

(9 Posts)
nicename Mon 07-Oct-13 13:06:50

Someone boiled up ten eggs (TEN) at the weekend for egg sarnies.

I have three very manky bananas in need of using. Is there any cake I can make without eggs? I don't fancy banana bread nice needs cake now.

Forgetfulmog Mon 07-Oct-13 13:11:27

Oh god yes - bananas are a good substitute for eggs. I'd just use your normal banana cake recipe, leave out the eggs & add just a little milk to get it to the right consistency.

Or you could mash together 1.5 cups oats & the bananas & add some chocolate chips, dollop onto a baking sheet as cookies & bake at gas 4

nicename Mon 07-Oct-13 13:23:29

Cooooool! I'm going to make an apple and banana loaf (ooooo yummsy).

sparkle12mar08 Mon 07-Oct-13 21:10:16

How did it go? I'd have thought you'd need an extra dose of baking powder for the rise, but with bananas you don't need eggs for the texture.

nicename Tue 08-Oct-13 09:02:40

It came out rather nice, thank you. It didn't rise as much as usual, but the texture is still soft and the taste is absolutely fine! Its an adapted banana loaf recipe - I add apples and a load more spices to the basic - so it is very moist and keeps for a good few days. Its also really nice warmed up with cream/ice cream/custard!

I may put the recipe up here. I've also got a lovely toffee-apple cake recipe (dates and apples with melted toffees on top, oh yum) that I need to dig out. Winter puds - is there anything better?

Do you think I can make it without the milk and honey (for a vegan friend)? I've never made an egg-free cake and am feeling adventurous noow!

Forgetfulmog Tue 08-Oct-13 09:53:16

Just substitute almond milk for the milk & maple syrup for the honey. Oh & as a pp said, add a bit more baking powder

I really, really need your toffee-apple cake recipe - please, please, please - it sounds wonderful

nicename Wed 09-Oct-13 13:44:14

I am pretty certain this is the same one:

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1758668/spiced-toffee-apple-cake

It is bloomin' lovely!

I eat mainly vegan and substitute eggs for extra banana and butter for coconut oil - easy peasy and bloody delish!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now