Vegetarian dinnder party- no tomatoes or nightshades

(31 Posts)
hotair Mon 30-Sep-13 16:18:04

Right I have to throw a vegetarian dinner party, but I cannot eat tomatoes, potatoes, aubergines and soy sauce. I am also intolerant to nuts and can't eat anything too spicy without being poorly.
I have no idea what so ever where to start! It's also my first dinner party, so nothing too complicated please, (although I am a pretty accomplished cook.)
Any ideas gratefully received!

DisappointedHorse Mon 30-Sep-13 16:21:15

This is a really nice recipe and it always goes down well. You could just omit the pine nuts?

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/italian/spinach-and-ricotta-lasagne-with-pine-nuts.html

hotair Mon 30-Sep-13 16:25:36

Looks yummy but I should have added that I also shouldn't eat spinach (I do so love it though- just not the day afterwards!)

tethersend Mon 30-Sep-13 16:28:27

Butternut and sage risitto, omit the pine nuts.

Cheese and parsnip roulade, omit the hazelnuts.

tethersend Mon 30-Sep-13 16:29:23

Or do a vegetable pie with mixed veg in a creamy sauce?

Patilla Mon 30-Sep-13 16:30:04

Macaroni cheese?

Or baked gnocchi with cheese?

Patilla Mon 30-Sep-13 16:31:07

Out of interest are you the vegetarian? If its only ove person you might decide to do a veggie and non veggie option for ease?

tethersend Mon 30-Sep-13 16:31:11
tethersend Mon 30-Sep-13 16:31:58

Lentil shepherds pie with sweet potato mash?

Is cheese allowable? Puy lentils with feta and red onion is one of my standbys.

A quinoa pilaff made with mushrooms and courgettes.

Roast roots with rosemary - carrot, squash, parsnip chunks baked in the oven with garlic and rosemary. Add cubes of haloumi if permissable.

Asparagus quiche.

hotair Mon 30-Sep-13 16:37:09

No patilla I'm not the veggie- me and dh are unrepentant meat eaters, but all four guests are very strict veggies so I think it would be a bit pointless to do two menus!

I want it to be a bit sophisticated, but not over the top. Not sure shepherds pie of macaroni are quite fancy enough but could be persuaded!

hotair Mon 30-Sep-13 16:39:25

veggie cheese only as the guests are pretty strict... I like the sound of the roast roots, maybe with a rocket salad, but can you get veggie haloumi?

ErrolTheDragon Mon 30-Sep-13 16:45:35

Or the other thing that tastes and looks good in quiche is roasted red pepper ... could be your starter before something with those roast roots...

Patilla Mon 30-Sep-13 17:28:09

Isn't red pepper part of the nightshade family?

Patilla Mon 30-Sep-13 17:30:13

Ok.

Erm mushroom stroganoff if dairy isn't off the menu
Or mushroom risotto - use some dried porcini mushrooms and white wine to give it depth

Patilla Mon 30-Sep-13 17:33:56

Butternut squash stuffed with cous cous and vegetables and some cumin/coriander/chilli?

Topped with veggie cheese?

Patilla Mon 30-Sep-13 17:35:36
sleepyhead Mon 30-Sep-13 17:38:50

You can get veggie halloumi. Don't know if it all is, but the stuff I got in Tesco recently said it was.

sleepyhead Mon 30-Sep-13 17:40:17

Just checked. All halloumi is vegetarian as it's not made with rennet.

shrinkingnora Mon 30-Sep-13 18:13:43

Parmesan is not veggie so careful if you do a risotto.

DoItTooJulia Mon 30-Sep-13 18:16:16

this is amazing

In fact, I would check out Ottolenghi's recipes. Mejadra is awesome too.

DoItTooJulia Mon 30-Sep-13 18:16:55

Oh and Sainsbo does a cheap Parmesan substitute that is veggie.

hotair Mon 30-Sep-13 19:53:32

Just realised I misspelt dinner- oh the shame! blush
Thank you all for your excellent suggestions!

ErrolTheDragon Mon 30-Sep-13 21:26:39

>Isn't red pepper part of the nightshade family?
no, its in the capsicum family not solanums I think. But I'm sure the OP knows if she can eat it or not.

Michel Roux does a fabulous veg tarte tatin which has red onions and fennel as the star ingredients. There's also a chilli, but you could omit that. It looks very pretty, would work with a good green salad for a dinner party.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now