How do you layer your lasagne

(27 Posts)
FunInTheSunD Mon 16-Sep-13 20:03:17

that's just it really... how do you layer your lasagne, do you start with a layer of meat, white sauce, or pasta sheets.. and do you think it makes a difference on taste or presentation how it's done.

OohMrDarcy Mon 16-Sep-13 20:05:19

always start with meat!

Tobagostreet Mon 16-Sep-13 20:06:45

Meat, pasta, white sauce, repeat.

Ooh, I pasta, meat, pasta, white sauce, meat, pasta white sauce, cheese smile

leonardofquirm Mon 16-Sep-13 20:13:50

Meat pasta cheese sauce, repeat once, add more cheese.

I like cheese.

ShowOfHands Mon 16-Sep-13 20:15:52

Noooooo. Not this thread again. It'll segue into jam or cream first on a scone and then is it scown or scon and it'll be fisticuffs and flouncing all over again.

You could ask whether it's another THINK or THING too and the repercussions will still be felt at Christmas.

Have it deleted. Please.

FunInTheSunD Mon 16-Sep-13 20:30:58

sorry if I've offended anyone, but I've never cooked one before. I had a trial run tonight as I'm cooking this at the weekend when we have friends round and I've found several different recipes that all say different...

the recipe I followed said pasta sheets first which actually was good as it was easy to dish up without the meat sloppy every where...

TheSlug Mon 16-Sep-13 20:32:28

Meat, pasta, cheese, repeat, grated cheese on top!

Empross76 Mon 16-Sep-13 20:36:54

I just do meat, pasta, meat, pasta, meat, pasta, then top with cheese sauce and grated cheese. Am I weird for only doing one lot of cheese sauce?

PollyPlummer Mon 16-Sep-13 20:39:07

Meat first, scone like cone, cream first and thing definitely not thing.
<<throws bun>>

thecapitalsunited Mon 16-Sep-13 20:43:20

I do a tiny bit of white sauce on the bottom then pasta then meat then white sauce, pasta, meat, white sauce etc until i get to the top when I do a final layer of white sauce and sprinkle over some cheese.

I find the layer of pasta on the bottom helps you dish it up without it going everywhere. Also, leave to cool for 10-15 mins before serving because this also helps you get it out without the filling dribbling everywhere.

Ooh Capital may I steal your idea of a little white sauce on the bottom?

Jam then cream <throws scon> grin

FunInTheSunD Mon 16-Sep-13 20:50:54

yeah capital... I like that idea as well. smile smile

PollyPlummer Mon 16-Sep-13 20:52:40

grin

ErrolTheDragon Mon 16-Sep-13 20:59:17

OP - when you find that there are several recipes for something which all say different things, what that means is (listen up everyone)....^it doesn't really matter that much^ grin

I do meat, pasta, cheese sauce, meat,pasta, and then either sauce and cheese or a yogurt/egg/cheese topping ... and cheese.

EvilTwins Mon 16-Sep-13 21:01:09

Meat, pasta, cheese sauce, pasta, meat, pasta, cheese sauce, more cheese. YUM.

sooperdooper Mon 16-Sep-13 21:14:28

Yep, I always put cheese sauce in each layer smile

Buildingamystery Mon 16-Sep-13 21:20:06

Meat, pasta, meat, pasta, meat, pasta, creme fraiche and cheese and lots of black pepper. Yum.

tb Tue 17-Sep-13 15:43:15

Sauce, pasta, meat, sauce, pasta, meat, sauce, pasta, meat, sauce, pasta, sauce.

On all the but the bottom sauce layer I add grated parmesan cheese, too.

Shodan Tue 17-Sep-13 15:49:10

Meat, cheese sauce, pasta x 2 then meat, cheese sauce. Grated cheese on top. Then I examine the whole thing to see if I can possibly shoehorn any more cheese in.

(scon scon scon scon scon scon scon)

21mealspluscake Tue 17-Sep-13 17:58:03

I make tomato sauce separate to meat separate to cheese hmm I go meat, pasta, tomato sauce, pasta, cheese sauce - each layer is about a centimetre thick

scon jam cream

riverboat Tue 17-Sep-13 22:27:06

Exactly the same as Shodan

Meat, cheese sauce, pasta
Meat, cheese sauce, pasta
Meat, cheese sauce, grated cheese.

ushaiza Wed 18-Sep-13 19:50:43

Or if it is vegetable lasagne, do you substitute lightly cooked broccoli/mushroom/spinach/cauliflower/aubergine/green peas/green beans/chickpeas/cooked white beans/lima beans/ for the meat?
And use tomato sauce?
Slices of hardboiled egg?

Meat, pasta, cheese sauce, meat, pasta, cheese sauce, meat, pasta, cheese sauce, sprinkling of cheese.

shazbean Wed 18-Sep-13 19:56:11

Wee bit meat sauce to stop the pasta sticking on the bottom of the dish.
Pasta at the bottom so it's easier to get out at the end.
Meat, pasta, white sauce, meat, pasta, cheese sauce. Mix of grated cheddar and Parmesan on top. Leave to cool for 5 mins before dishing up the it isn't so sloppy. Mmmm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now