Soup! It's soup season! Can I have your best soup recipes please?

(252 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 08-Sep-13 19:29:12

I have no blender or other contraption so all my soups are the kind with bits in. So....what have you got for me? grin

I can smell Autumn....she's there...it's time to think on!

I am particularly interested in vegetarian and vegan recipes but meat is good too! grin

TimeToPassGo Sun 26-Jan-14 22:03:52

Bumping this because I am always looking for inspiration smile

ItsTheOnlyWayToLive Sat 11-Jan-14 11:44:49

Bumping as I'm trying to adapt some of the soup recipes for a slow cooker.

Any other SC soup recipe ideas would be appreciated, thanks smile

ItsTheOnlyWayToLive Sun 05-Jan-14 11:01:50

Oops, 50g stilton.

That would gave helped ..

ItsTheOnlyWayToLive Sun 05-Jan-14 11:00:27

I made a leek, potato and stilton soup in the SC yesterday.

Here are the ingredients, I doubled up, plus a bit extra for lunches:

1 large leek (i threw in a bag of sliced leeks from Asda)

1 large king edward potato, chopped finely

1 chopped garlic clove

1 litre veg stock

black pepper and salt to season

Just bung it all in the slow cooker on low (has to be low or the soup will split) for 4-5 hours.

FunnyFestiveTableRunner Sat 04-Jan-14 21:15:03

Bumping this thread as it's the very thing I was looking for smile

Littlemisschristmas Tue 31-Dec-13 12:47:18

Spicy butternut squash.
Roast butternut squash, I peel and cut into chunks with a drizzle of olive oil. Approx 30 mins.
In large pan add olive oil, 1 onion chopped, and I large carrot chopped. Gently 5 mins then add 1 med chopped red chilli, 1 large crushed clove of garlic, 1tsp chopped ginger. Cook 5 mins keep stirring.
Add approx 350 g potatoes, plus 2 pints veg stock. Cover and simmer 15 mins. Add squash simmer 10 mins.
I then blend and drizzle with cream however receive says some pesto or coriander oil.

teta Mon 30-Dec-13 12:45:24

Scoth Broth - Add cubed root vegetables plus potatoes and chopped onion/leek plus pearl barley.Thicken with a spoonful or two of porridge oats if you don't like barley.Add frozen peas five minutes before serving.

Littlemisschristmas Sun 29-Dec-13 18:25:16

Marking place to come back when ds in bed

soupdragon1 Sun 29-Dec-13 18:17:48

Does anyone have a recipe for a soup using lamb stock? thanks

milk Thu 14-Nov-13 17:37:38

In a pot I add: Chicken wings 1kg, 1 swede, 3 carrots, 1 onion, 1 parsnip.

I then add 7l of water, and cook it until it has reduced down to 4l. This usually takes around 2 hours.

ZoeZoeZoe Thu 14-Nov-13 00:09:57

a couple of my favourite soup recipes here:

tyne-teas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/soups.html

Potato and Bacon soup and Mushroom soup

: )

mumof3stokemum Wed 23-Oct-13 10:15:00

Lentils cooked with garlic, onion, stock, carrots and potato then blitzed. Yummy also with bacon lardons. I sometimes add this to cooked penne with a sprinkle of grated cheese and the kids love it, its cheap and nutritious too.

chaosagain Tue 22-Oct-13 13:49:15

Favourite unblended recipe: www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/soups/smoked-bacon-and-lentil-soup.html

Favourite blended soup recipe: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2089/spiced-carrot-and-lentil-soup

Am so pleased it's soup season - I love them!

Another v quick easy one is curried pea soup:
- Chop a big onion - in a bit of oil, cook til soft.
- chuck in some curry powder (or just cumin, coriander etc).
- Add a packet (smallish) of frozen peas and some good veg stock to cover.
- cook for about 10-15 mins and blend. Season.

You can skip the curry powder and just add mint at the end instead, if that's your thing.

grin very welcome grin

Caveman I made your soup over the weekend and it was indeed bloody lovely, so lovely in fact I ate it all myself! Thanks for sharing the recipe smile

This is bloody lovely. I have just polished off a flask-full of it for lunch.

2 courgettes
2 leeks
1/2 celeriac

fry in butter until leek is soft.
Add 1 litre of chicken or veg stock.

Simmer for 15 mins.

Blitz
Add cream

Yum

PrincessRomy Tue 17-Sep-13 11:51:23

My two year old helped me make it it's so easy.

PrincessRomy Tue 17-Sep-13 11:50:15

Do get a hand blender, we got a Tesco Value one for a fiver and it's still going four years later.

I just made this curried cauliflower soup, it's so easy and I think it's gorgeous..

Put 750ml/3 cups/pint and a quarter of whole milk in a large pan. Add one large cauliflower broken up into small florets, 1 tbsp garam masala and a bit of salt and pepper. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down, partially cover and simmer for 20 mins until cauliflower is tender. Leave to cool slightly then blend.

It's made the kitchen smell deliciously autumnal too.

bessie26 Mon 16-Sep-13 18:19:58

Oh I do love soup! Am looking forward to trying out lits of your lovely recipes soon! Mine are here, but our current favourite is smokey butternut squash soup with butterbeans - yummy!

LovesBeingOnHoliday Sun 15-Sep-13 16:26:51

beccaamuseyourbouche that looks amazing

LovesBeingOnHoliday Sun 15-Sep-13 16:20:45

I'm gonna try this Tom & lentil one

beccaamuseyourbouche Sun 15-Sep-13 10:38:29

This is sort of a cross between a curry and a soup, but it's my favourite thing to make at this time of year: www.amuse-your-bouche.com/quick-red-thai-curry-noodle-soup/

frogslegs35 Sat 14-Sep-13 19:16:35

Mmm this page is a definite keeper smile Thank you all I'll definitely be trying a few of the recipes out.
At the moment I'm looking for a soup to make with dried wild mushrooms but NOT with cream.

My two favourite winter soups -

Mums broth - make stock or use cubes (for mine I usually boil up a chicken bone, a few bay leaves and few balls of allspice with a parsnip, carrot, onion or leek and a piece of celeriac, salt/pepper) Once I've got my stock liquid I add yellow lentils, lots of grated carrot and some sliced too, diced potatoes and leek or onion. Sometimes I have it just like this or I add chopped bacon and ham to it. Home made dumplings are delish in it too but I only make enough for the first 'cook' as they don't keep well in the soup to reheat.

Garlic soup - I add to 1.5 litres of stock 5/6 large carrots chopped, 5/6 medium/ large potatoes diced, I chop and slice 2 onions and crush 2 full garlic bulbs (we love garlic but you can use less) gently fry the onions and garlic then add to the stock, catch the carrots when they are done and remove one or two for later (optional to chop very small and add back to the soup after blending) When the pots and carrots are soft then blend.
I make croutons to sprinkle on the top or slice up some baguette, sprinkle with cheese and melt in the oven for a few minutes. Yummy!

Hubby likes me to make spicy tomato soup served with rice but its not my fav smile
Stock
2 tins of chopped toms
8/10 fresh very ripe toms chopped small (Its personal preference whether you leave skins on, I do)
Chilli or cayenne powder (however strong spicy you want, add to your taste)
2 onions cut in half and thinly sliced (I fry mine off first but you don't need to)
Boiled rice, I prefer wild or basmati but any will do - I don't add it to the big pan of soup as it's not nice when left a few days so I make it seperate and what I don't use goes in the fridge to be added to the soup I'll reheat that day.

MissLurkalot Fri 13-Sep-13 19:54:28

Jerusalem Artichoke Soup

25 g (1 oz) butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed or finely chopped
500 g (1 lb) Jerusalem artichokes, scrubbed and sliced
400 ml (3/4 pt) semi-skimmed milk
1 vegetable stock cube made with 400ml (3/4 pt) boiling water
25g (1 oz) cornflour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 dessert spoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 dessert spoons single cream

Melt the butter in a large heavy based saucepan and cook the onion with a pinch of salt until softened but not coloured.

Add the garlic and artichokes and fry for a further few minutes.

Then add the vegetable stock and milk, cover the saucepan and simmer gently for 25 minutes or until the jerusalem artichoke pieces are tender.

Process in a liquidiser or food processor until smooth then return to the rinsed pan.

In a small dish, blend the cornflour with 2 x 15ml spoons water and stir in a few spoonfuls of soup, return this mixture to the saucepan and bring to the boil whilst stirring continuously.

Remove from the heat, season to taste, stir in the parsley and garnish with cream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now