what to do with a glut of sage?

(12 Posts)
HometownUnicorn Sun 08-Sep-13 10:17:50

i've had to trim it back at it's invading the path. will it freeze ok until Christmas?

JamNan Sun 08-Sep-13 10:34:46

Yes it does freeze - you can also dry it.

HometownUnicorn Sun 08-Sep-13 11:03:53

great, thank you. I'll freeze it, and see if the neighbours want the left over cuttings. there's loads.

JanePlanet Sun 08-Sep-13 11:06:55

On a train with a rubbish connection do sorry there's no link - Jamie Oliver's feather steaks. Steaks with sage, ham and salsa. Made it a few times and it was lovely. Used about 5-6 sage leaves per steak

mrspremise Sun 08-Sep-13 13:30:31

It's really nice added to vases of flowers as greenery and also seems to keep the flies at bay a bit...

cheeseandchive Mon 09-Sep-13 13:11:40

Sage tea is lovely - just a normal teabag with a few sage leaves added once the hot water has been poured. Leave for 1-2 mins to brew, but no longer otherwise it will be bitter. Remove sage leaves and tea bag, add 1-2 tsp of sugar...it's delis.

CMOTDibbler Mon 09-Sep-13 13:13:59

Chop it, then put into ice cube trays and top each cube with olive/rape/veg oil, then its easy to add into things

21mealspluscake Mon 09-Sep-13 15:02:58

Heat some olive oil in a small frying pan and fry the leaves a few at a time for a couple of seconds - they go lovely and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper, little sprinkle of salt crystals, nibble with a drink at the end of a hard day - you'll be through the lot in no time!

make sage butter then freeze.

HometownUnicorn Wed 11-Sep-13 08:16:16

I love the sound of sage crisps.

Sage jelly, made with apples for the pectin. Just a Sage version of Mint Jelly.

oh god yes to sage jelly!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now