Advice Needed - one handed cook for at least 8 weeks (left hand - aaaarggh)

(12 Posts)
bolshygirl Tue 03-Sep-13 22:34:41

Any advice gratefully received as I broke my right thumb and will be in plaster for 8 weeks maybe more - I'm looking for tips on one handed recipes, chopping, and useful kitchen tools which wont break the bank and also any useful household tips as I have 4 boys to feed and clean up after virtually single handed (please pardon the pun), as my partner works rather more than full time hours and is often away.

Thankyou so much for any tips you can give xx

riverboat Tue 03-Sep-13 23:30:53

How frustrating!

I think I'd be buying a lot of pre-chopped veg. Probably frozen, to keep costs down. Was going to say then you can make pasta sauces and stuff, but actually how will you open tins?!

Heck, I'd probably get in a lot of pre-prepared stuff. Do picnic style meals where you put things in the middle of the table and they help themselves, e.g. crusty bread, cheese, cold meat, paté, quiche, ready made salady things, cocktail sausages etc. Probably more expensive than home cooking though...

Best of luck. I have a friend whose mum was born with the use of only one hand and it is amazing watching her do things in the kitchen because she is so deft and clever...but I think that's after a lifetime of practice!

bolshygirl Tue 03-Sep-13 23:34:34

Well exactly, Riverboat - by the time I master anything much I'll have my hand back lol - and the worst thing is trying to open tins - today i had the boys trying to turn the can opener while i held it in position - not a success :-P

Footle Tue 03-Sep-13 23:37:38

You need an electric can opener.

bolshygirl Tue 03-Sep-13 23:37:51

Ringpull cans might work though - could hold in my stookie arm and pull with my good hand - least i can make pastas and curries and casseroles etc with a few other cheats of the prechop variety - now how to drain a huge pot of pasta or potatoes one handed .......

bolshygirl Tue 03-Sep-13 23:38:57

good point footle!!!! think my OH bought one of those in a fit of gadgetbrainedness - now to find the thing

riverboat Tue 03-Sep-13 23:39:45

Hmm, put colander in sink, grip one side of pan with good hand and other side with elbow (protected by jumper) , lift and put on edge of sink, and carefully tip into colander?

bolshygirl Tue 03-Sep-13 23:43:20

or....... use pasta grippy thing with spag or slotted spoon with anything else and gradually dollop into colander until pot light enough to lift one handed - my boys have BIG appetites!

Home made burgers? Mince, a broken egg, herbs and breadcrumbs mixed with one hand and shaped into patties and grilled? Bag salad, bag oven chips, bag buns, let family assemble themselves...

Cheese and egg mini muffins
Beat eggs with some cream, dump in pre- grated cheese and left over veg, pour into muffin tray, sprinkle with cheese and bake til set.

Also google crust less quiche.

Footle Wed 04-Sep-13 08:27:24

With all due respect , Trucks, I think this is an ideal moment for OP to buy naice but ready made burgers.

bolshygirl Wed 11-Sep-13 01:42:10

Thanks all for your tips and advice - looking like cast off in 3 weeks not 8, and OH actually pulling his finger out and helping so not the disaster i was fearing!! smile

BTW agree with footle - ready made is best in this situ lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now