Hedgerow Jelly

(11 Posts)
Liskey Mon 02-Sep-13 21:02:41

Just bought the book cheers Elsiequadrille (as it's not at the library). Looks good and can't wait to read it!

GeeandTea Mon 02-Sep-13 19:56:03

Thank you!

valiumredhead Mon 02-Sep-13 19:30:16

Thank you!

Liskey Mon 02-Sep-13 18:37:08

Lol - I used this one but cut the sugar down to about 700g I think as I don't like really sweet jam! The only other thing is that blackberry jam is really full of pips still really good though.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11750/angelas-flexible-jam-recipe

valiumredhead Mon 02-Sep-13 18:31:54

I'd like the recipe too please,I have a freezer drawer full of blackberries!

GeeandTea Mon 02-Sep-13 18:29:15

Ooh I have been trying to find a decent blackberry jam recipe. Can I be cheeky and ask for yours op? Pleeease?

Liskey Mon 02-Sep-13 18:24:15

Mil may have found some crab apples though I'm now dubious they are actually apples as they look more like mini plums and are a gold and pink colour - I always remember crab apples as being very small, green mini apples. I think I'll have to order that book as soon as!

Liskey Mon 02-Sep-13 14:09:47

Cheers for that - I shall look that up local library and Amazon.

Ok shall look for rosehips as well to put in - thanks for the tip.

So far I'm struggling to find crab apples but i keep looking when i'm out running (so far seen lots of wild apple trees but they look like eating apples not small enough for crab apples).

Elsiequadrille Mon 02-Sep-13 13:52:43

It's Food for Free (Collins Gem).

Elsiequadrille Mon 02-Sep-13 13:51:29

I use a Collins book (will look up the title), it's quite basic.

How about rosehip?

Liskey Mon 02-Sep-13 13:47:46

I really want to try and make hedgerow jelly - having just made blackberry jam which was a resounding success and now have a few pound of blackberries left to use up. I've also got some damsons which our tree produced (its first havest about 4ozs of them) so not enough for gin.

However I think I will need some other hedgerow prduce - i can identify elderberries ok but can anyone recommend any books etc for identifying Haw berries and other wild produce? As i think these need to go in there and I don't want to poison anyone!

Cheers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now