Rhubarb cake recipes?

(11 Posts)
Kernowgal Sun 07-Jul-13 11:21:20

Anyone got any good rhubarb cake recipes? I have 700g of the stuff (fresh, not stewed) and was thinking a cake might be a good idea.

It can, once washed and cut, be frozen for use later.
Or try googling the bbc's rhubarb and custard cake, which is very tasty. it only uses about 4 sticks, mind you!

throckenholt Sun 07-Jul-13 13:32:18

DS made a rhubarb pie from the BBC recipes today -looks very nice and used about that amount.

charitygirl Sun 07-Jul-13 13:34:37

Google nigella's rhubarb and cornmeal cake. I love it - requires plain yog (can use any I think) and cornmeal/polenta, or semolina will do.

This is very nice.

Kernowgal Sun 07-Jul-13 15:30:50

Ah I was wondering if I could just freeze it straight off - didn't know if it needed blanching at all. That's great news, I can pop the bulk in the freezer and just use a bit now.

Rhubarb and custard cake sounds deeeeeeelish! I saw someone else had mentioned a rhubarb and orange cake but I've not got around to looking it up yet. Also intrigued by rhubarb and cornmeal cake - never made a cornmeal or polenta cake so quite fancy giving that a try.

In fact I suppose I might have enough to do all of them!

Kernowgal Sun 07-Jul-13 15:31:35

I also rilly rilly fancy making rhubarb fool.

And maybe some rhubarb gin or suchlike, if possible.

imtheonlyone Sun 07-Jul-13 15:32:51

Oh do the rhubarb and custard cake - it's amazing!!!! No better combination grin

throckenholt Sun 07-Jul-13 16:20:41

rhubarb and orange go well together - my mum used to make a lovely pastry flan thing with rhubarb and an orangey custard - lovely hot or cold.

Kernowgal Sun 07-Jul-13 16:22:14

My tummy is seriously rumbling after all this. No time to make cakes tonight but tomorrow's a different story.

Cheers all!

Pantah630 Sun 07-Jul-13 16:26:00

Make the Hairy Bikers rhubarb and vanilla freeze from the Curry book. It's lovely and so refreshing, having a glassful now to cool me down. Can PM you recipe if interested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now