So.... How many toddlers will eat salad?

(33 Posts)
Wearegoingtobedlehem Sun 30-Jun-13 17:46:28

Just wondered really, in this hot weather I would love to be able to eat salad as a family. But dd1 & dd2 both not keen at 2 and 3 years.

Do your toddlers eat salad- if so what?

Beehatch Wed 03-Jul-13 11:14:32

Mine seem to find leaves impossible to eat - it just gets stuck on the roof of their mouths. DD is now 6 and can manage crunchy bits of lettuce like the stalk bits of Romaine.

All other salad stuff gets consumed at a rate of knots, their favourite tea is 'snack plate' which is basically crudites with some cubes of cheese and breadsticks.

Sirzy Wed 03-Jul-13 11:16:59

DS is 3.5 and loves salad now, he didn't like lettuce at first but loves it now and will ask for a bowl of lettuce and carrot as a snack (but turn down chocolate, odd child!)

MERLYPUSS Wed 03-Jul-13 11:56:38

Mine will eat all salad including raw spanish onion but DT2 is not overly keen on 'wet' stuff like mayo, coleslaw or pot salad. He won't eat the protien bit either but that's a whole 'nother issue.

MummyPig24 Wed 03-Jul-13 12:44:29

My children do. They are 5 and 3. They sometimes eat a bit of lettuce but they love cucumber, pepper, carrot, sweet corn, they don't like tomatoes though.

Pascha Wed 03-Jul-13 12:46:35

Nope. Ignores it all. And fruit. And most veg. And most meat.

EugenesAxe Wed 03-Jul-13 12:58:24

DS likes cucumber and tomato and occasionally avocado. He also ate one of his home-grown radishes the other day.

I have thrown down the gauntlet today though as his lunchbox sandwich is beef, cheese, mayo and spinach/rocket/watercress salad. I suspect lots of green bits will come home, and no meat or cheese.

I might try Nicoise sometime though - I reckon that would be oomphy enough to be accepted.

SparePants - I'm not often, but I am envy about your wonderful DS! I wish I could have successfully breastfed my two as I eat everything... and I'll bet it would have rubbed off a bit.

tory79 Thu 04-Jul-13 22:16:39

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

no

ShoeWhore Mon 08-Jul-13 13:51:47

Big two are great with salad now and eat pretty much anything. They are a bit older though (nearly 9 and 7). Dc3 still refuses to eat "leaves" grin apart from pea shoots.

When they were smaller salad was more veg sticks really - cucumber, pepper, carrot plus sweetcorn and cherry tomatoes on a good day.

I always serve salad in a big bowl with nice homemade dressing - they like both the dressing and the ceremony of helping themselves to it I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now