It's now Sunday are you having a Sunday dinner today?

(29 Posts)
Jayne266 Sun 19-May-13 15:31:33

Just seeing how many people have a roast type dinner on Sunday.

I am having toast garlic chicken with vegetable bake.

ChilliJo Sun 19-May-13 21:35:47

Pretty much every Sunday, here.

DP is a veggie but me and the 2 DC aren't, so I rarely cook a joint. Sometimes a chicken, sometimes pork belly but often shop bought pie blush

We always have roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese, roast parsnip, boiled carrots and broccoli and swede and carrot mash. I hope I can vary things as the DC get older but at the moment I'm quite happy with it, it's good, well cooked food <modest> and the DC eat well. DC1 actually ate every last scrap today grin

EleanorFarjeon Sun 19-May-13 21:08:40

About to have prawn risotto with asparagus. I have sampled it several times walking past - it's gorgeous.

Dh is serving it now - I am waiting for him to notice how much I have already eaten!

We had roast pork, roast potatoes and parsnips, stuffing, yorkshire puds, carrots, broccoli, green beans and baby sweetcorn.

We had it at teatime so still haven't managed the rhubarb crumble my mum sent round yet.

madeleinetheragdoll Sun 19-May-13 21:00:29

I did a lovely roast chicken dinner as had MIL to stay but when we carved it, it was green in the middle confused!! Not nice. Just ate veg and will be going to the shop to complain tomorrow!!

CrazyOldCatLady Sun 19-May-13 20:58:02

We had a casserole of pork chops, carrots, turnips and apples with herby dumplings. Just as well it's November. Oh, wait...

Facebaffle Sun 19-May-13 20:53:43

We usually have a Sunday roast.

Today we had pizza and salad and the dc were shock

ByTheSea Sun 19-May-13 20:51:34

We went out to a nice pub. We spent all day (and yesterday) sorting and decluttering getting ready to move in a couple of weeks. We needed the break.

snoworneahva Sun 19-May-13 20:48:28

We usually do a special Sunday meal but it's rarely a traditional roast - usually it's a an opportunity to try out a new dish.

FoundAChopinLizt Sun 19-May-13 19:14:25

Just finished roast chicken, parsnips, carrots, yorkshires, potatoes. green beans gravy. Then ice cream. Dh cooked and dcs clear up. It's quite a cost effective way to feed six big eaters. Had cheese on toast with beans at lunch.

Chicken and chick pea curry tomorrow, and will make soup to freeze.

MrsPnut Sun 19-May-13 19:14:13

No roast for us today but only because we were away for the weekend. It's the same story next weekend but we should be back on track the weekend after.

If the weather is nice then we usually have roast meat with salads but if it's cold then it's meat, roasties, yorkshire puddings, stuffing and veg.

No roast for us.today, but I always cook and sit for a family meal on a Sunday. We rarely eat at once and hardly ever at the table so I make the effort on a Sunday. I always try a new recipe or meal, todays was a poached chicken and freekah wheat dish. Next week is likely to be a leg of lamb, shredded and stuffed in pitta with an harissa sauce.

We've got into a bit of a pattern over the last few weeks of having a bit of a 'dumbed down' Sunday roast, after not having them much at all for years.

Today it was:

Nut cutlets (Waitrose)
Roast sweet and normal potatoes (the only thing we prepared from scratch!)
Stuffing (Paxo)
Vege (frozen)
Gravy (Bisto)
Mint sauce (bought)

Lazy but the dds gobble it up with more enthusiasm than most of my lovingly made from scratch meals. smile

Ruffello Sun 19-May-13 16:28:33

Always a big Sunday meal here. Weekends are the only times DH, teenage DCs and I sit down and eat together so I like to do something special - not always a roast sometimes a big lasagne or some such - today it's a slow roast pulled pork with polenta and ratatouille.

No, only one of the kids is fussed about roast dinners so I rarely bother. Spaghetti carbonara for supper tonight smile

Ruprekt Sun 19-May-13 15:52:16

Roast veal today with
broccoli
carrots
cauliflower cheese
Stuffing
Gravy

Fruit for dessert

CMP69 Sun 19-May-13 15:51:56

We had roast lamb, boulangiere potatoes, brocolli, carrots and parsnip. Haven't had a roast for ages, but it was lovely

we are having wraps with southern fried chicken, salad, salsa, etc. We sometimes have lasagne, bolognese, toad in the hole and occasionally a roast.

Iwantmybed Sun 19-May-13 15:46:35

Hardly ever have a roast, I love em but DH is not fussed. Although the clean up is a pain so not too bad.

JambalayaCodfishPie Sun 19-May-13 15:46:26

We are today but we rarely do. We're having turkey, roasties, veg. No yorkshires today though.

Just waiting on an ETA for DD1 who's at the seaside so I know when to start cooking. It's all ready to go.

Mintyy Sun 19-May-13 15:46:05

We will all eat together as a family this evening (doesn't often happen tbh) but we are having cottage pie, rather than a roast. I find making a cottage pie a bit of a faff, actually, would rather do a roast!

coffeewineandchocolate Sun 19-May-13 15:45:03

roast chicken, stuffing, Yorkshire pudding, gravy and veg here :-)

Roast beef here today. We do normally do a roast as DS likes it. Sometimes have something like lasagna instead though.

TobyLerone Sun 19-May-13 15:43:14

Nope. I usually do our big, family, 2-course dinner on a Monday because it's quieter than Sunday.

It's not always a roast. Tomorrow we're having toad in the hole with venison sausages and roasted veg, followed by some kind of meringue-based dessert.

Bonkerz Sun 19-May-13 15:42:41

We do a roast about once or twice a month. Today was chicken last week was lamb (dh had a rare Sunday off and cooked) next week will be pasta lol

HousewifeFromHeaven Sun 19-May-13 15:40:55

Roast beef Yorkshire pud followed by apple crumble and half price ambrosia smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now