hummous (sp?)

(14 Posts)
Bunbaker Sun 19-May-13 10:29:48

Fried onions - sounds delicious. I have a Delia recipe for a chick pea pate that includes fried onions. I must dig it out and make it again.

BistoBear Sun 19-May-13 10:17:06

Tin of chickpeas, fried onions, salt, pepper, crushed garlic. Blitz in blender, done! So much nicer and healthier than bought hummus smile

Bunbaker Sun 19-May-13 10:14:09

How did you make it Jolly? I find it is difficult to make a bad job of it because I taste as I go along. It is one of those recipes you can keep making adjustments to until you get it right.

JollyOrangeGiant Sat 18-May-13 23:46:30

I have tried to make humous a few times and it has always been really bad. I've now given up and just buy it instead.

Good luck!

Allalonenow Sat 18-May-13 23:36:53

Try other beans/pulses also. Butter beans, haricot vert, cannellini, etc all work well. Add a glug of good olive oil and some lemon juice, also a pinch of smoked paprika will add to the depth of flavour.

Bunbaker Sat 18-May-13 23:23:13

Tahini is sesame seed paste and tastes similar to peanut butter.
I don't bother with tahini as I don't care for the taste. I add extra virgin olive oil though.

lucysmam Sat 18-May-13 23:17:10

what's tahini?

i'm half way through my shopping list so will add ingredients to that in the morning

mrspaddy Sat 18-May-13 22:43:44

Just a tip.. Aldi sell large cans of chickpeas so cheap and I often get lemons etc for pennies.

ivykaty44 Sat 18-May-13 22:36:00

I just put a tin of chickpeas - drained but not drained to well - into the food processor then add a very good sprinkle of cumin and paprika, a desssert spoon of tahini

then a littl edrop of lemon juice and whizz

put in tupperware and sprinkle over paprika

enjoy on toast with sweet chilli sauce and tomato

Anifrangapani Sat 18-May-13 22:34:49

As horse's but some salt too. Variations cumin, red onion, chilli or use peas or beans instead of chickpeas.

lucysmam Sat 18-May-13 22:30:34

sounds simple enough.....will have to invest in some chickpeas though

mrspaddy Sat 18-May-13 22:21:57

This is not an authentic recipe but one I got at a slimming club. Chickpeas, natural low fat yoghurt, lemon juice, garlic and if you want sweet chilli sauce.
It is very filling and lovely.

horseonabeach Sat 18-May-13 22:15:38

Chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, bit of water. Tahini if you have it. That's it!

lucysmam Sat 18-May-13 22:06:11

tell me about it......then share a recipe if you have one, please smile

(someone on a thread in chat seemed to be thoroughly enjoying some this afternoon)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now