Vegetarian dinner party inspiration please!

(14 Posts)
Ginformation Fri 10-May-13 20:42:36

Not too posh. Or time consuming. Only 4 of us, 1 is veggie (no fish, no quorn). Would like to try something a bit different to the usual lasagne, curry, chili ouvre. And I have to be able to get all the ingredients from Sainsbos or Aldis tomorrow.

Ta! smile

Ooh - would recommend Ottolenghis aubergine cheesecake. Have made it for a few folk and all have liked it. Will look for link and post it next.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/mar/06/aubergine-cheesecake-vegetarian-recipe-ottolenghi

LoganMummy Fri 10-May-13 20:48:07

Try searching Simon Rimmer recipes on BBC Food. Lemongrass risotto is amazing!

Ginformation Fri 10-May-13 20:50:38

Nospring ooh, that looks great. I am a huge fan of Middle Eastern food. flowers

Ginformation Fri 10-May-13 20:53:19

LoganMum DH hates risotto unfortuantely (I nearly LTB when I found this out, I flipping love it)

BellaVida Fri 10-May-13 20:59:24

Favourite of mine. Towers of oven roasted vegetables layered with feta. Even nicer if you roast the vegetables with a little honey!

Marking my place for inspiration

ThePskettiIncident Fri 10-May-13 21:04:59

Spanakopitta!

So easy to make. It's a spinach, pine but and feta pie made in filo pastry. Serve with lots of lovely salads.

MaryIngalls Fri 10-May-13 23:23:48

Veggie pilaf rice with cucumber raita. Fajitas, enchiladas or other veggie wraps. Noodles with veg stir fry.

Ginformation Sat 11-May-13 10:05:48

Thank you all, I think am going to get a load of mezze bits from for starters (hummus, baba ganoush (sp?), pitta, fish balls, lamb koftes for the carnivores. Then the aubergine cheese cake with salad. For afters orange, cinnamon and orange blossom water fruit salad (claudia roden), home made almond macaroons and baklava. smile

JamNan Sat 11-May-13 10:24:53

Turkish food has lots of lovely vegetarian recipes that are easy to cook. Have a look at this site. You can buy filo pastry from most supermarkets.

Ginformation Sun 12-May-13 20:42:59

Well, the aubergine cheesecake thing was a big success. Highly recommend it!

But the night was a bit comical/disastrous as toddler ds started vomiting as the doorbell rang (poor little thing) so had to abandon guests immediately to scrape vom off the cot/walls/carpet/various stuffed toys/baby. The joys.

Just came on to see how it went - glad it went down well. Think I might make it for my mum coming round on Wednesday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now