What to do with ends of bread

(11 Posts)
daisydee43 Tue 30-Apr-13 17:55:27

Any ideas to make the most of the ends of bread, I never use them and hate to waste

Thank you

Queenbee245 Tue 30-Apr-13 17:56:47

Bread and butter pudding?

hallamoo Tue 30-Apr-13 17:59:24

Croutons! My freezer is full of them. Cut old bread into crouton size squares and fry with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic. They're delicious, I have them with all my salads and soups.

FringeEvent Tue 30-Apr-13 17:59:56

I sometimes chuck spare bread / breadcrusts in my smoothie maker (I don't have a food processor, but it seems to work just as well!) and whizz it to crumbs, then pop it in a freezer bag. Then the crumbs can be sprinkled onto pasta bakes etc directly from the freezer before it goes in the oven.

Bread crumbs

FoundAChopinLizt Tue 30-Apr-13 18:03:39

You can also put breadcrumbs into meatballs, or use them to coat chicken pieces or fish bits. Nice as a topping for creamy chicken recipes, esp if you whizz up some gruyere or pancetta in it. And add olive oil.

Mmmmm, I'm so hungry.smile

dozily Tue 30-Apr-13 18:11:59

Toast it, butter it, spread thickly with chocolate spread and eat it on your own once the children are in bed, feeling virtuous for avoiding food waste.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 30-Apr-13 19:37:38

I save them in the freezer, cut into chunks, dry out in a cool oven for several hours and then whizz in the processor. Makes dry, light breadcrumbs that keep beautifully in an airtight jar.

wiltingfast Wed 01-May-13 00:35:55

I second dozily grin

MasterOfTheYoniverse Wed 01-May-13 01:03:31

Whizz them with olive oil, garlic and parsley for the best ever crunchy bake topping.
Keeps very well in the freezer too.

craftycottontail Wed 01-May-13 01:06:58

Toast it and dunk it in soup, yum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now