Which is the best Madhur Jaffrey book with a good variety of recipes, preferably gluten free?

(5 Posts)

Dunno much about gluten-free, but Eastern Vegetarian Cooking is fantastic - and our most-used recipes from there don't have gluten in.

I'm a huge fan of her World Vegetarian book and have been using it regularly for over ten years. It's probably my most used cookbook.

On a different tangent, paleo or primal diets are gluten free and often dairy free. I would start with www.marksdailyapple.com or look at the paleo/primal thread on here. You can find recipes all over the Internet - just type in paleo recipes or e.g. Paleo whatever dish you're trying to cook.

MadMonkeys Tue 23-Apr-13 14:10:29

Thank you UptoapointLordCooper, I didn't know you could get gf soy sauce - that's great!

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 23-Apr-13 14:00:50

I have An invitation to indian cooking. It doesn't look very pretty but has lots of very nice simple recipes that use spices other than chilli and I've cooked a fair few for DC who don't like hot food. She does use yogurt though, but I'm sure you can substitute that with soya yogurt.

I also have her curry bible type thing but I use that far less often.

Japanese food and Chinese food also has lots of gf and dairy-free options (as long as you get gf soya sauce, which you can quite easily from big supermarkets).

MadMonkeys Tue 23-Apr-13 13:26:13

I'm asking because DD2 (7mo) is gluten intolerant (and dairy intolerant) and that's made me realise just how much I rely on wheat flour etc in my cooking and baking. I know Indian food uses a lot less wheat flour sand Madhur Jaffrey's recipes appeal to me - can anyone nominate their favourite of her books?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now