Rice cooker or just use microwave?

(35 Posts)
multitask Mon 22-Apr-13 13:12:26

I've always had great success making rice in the microwave but lately I am always needing the microwave while the rice is cooking. Do you have a rice cooker and if so was it worth the money? What model? Does it just sit in the back of your cupboard or do you love it? Have you converted from microwave to rice cooker or is there really no difference? Thanks everyone smile

multitaskmama Mon 20-May-13 11:18:03

I always do it on the stove.
Remember to wash thoroughly before cooking to remove starch.
Boil with lots of water and a little salt, drain when almost done.
Then leave on stove for 2 mins on lowest heat for any remaining water to evaporate. No need to measure water quantities.
Also long grain basmati rice comes up really nice and fluffy

Cooking rice

DownyEmerald Thu 02-May-13 21:22:55

My partner has had his rice cooker longer than he's had me - so must be 20 odd years old and its still going well. And we eat a lot of rice!

multitaskmama Thu 25-Apr-13 23:37:36

You can't go wrong with this method for cooking basmati rice:
Boiled Basmatic Rice

I will try the microwave methods mentioned above smile

tigerlilygrr Thu 25-Apr-13 10:45:22

Hi pregnantpause!

OP, once you've tried a decent rice cooker, you can't go back! I used to live in Japan and I am a total convert now, to the point where I schlepped to a distant suburb of Tokyo to find a uk compatible model I could bring home. None of my Asian friends can cook rice without them. And they're so good if you have kids as the rice stays good for UP TO FIVE DAYS. Although my limit is 24 hours really!

samuelwhiskers Wed 24-Apr-13 10:56:51

I've learnt a full proof way to cook rice without rice cooker or microwave, just on the stove in a non stick saucepan with lid. First rince the rice (preferably Basmati) until clear, takes about three times with lots of water in the saucepan, if you are using approx a mug full of rice, then leave enough water to cover the rice up to the first little joint of your index finger (can be approximate!). Then boil the rice until the there is only a bit of water left in the bottom. Put on lid, turn down cooker to as low as it goes, leave for half an hour - no peeping or stirring. Perfect rice every time.
I have thrown my rice cooker out as just cluttered the shelf.

rushingrachel Wed 24-Apr-13 10:40:22

I bought a rice cooker when DS was small on a recommendation from a friend who said it would free me up. I love it. Very trouble free and quick. And I cook couscous in it which also comes out perfect. And it washes in seconds. Never looked back. Enjoy yours!

I don't know, I bought it in store so perhaps.

multitask Tue 23-Apr-13 19:50:33

pregnantpause that is tempting but I don't see it listed on my Lidl website was it only a store offer?

Although it's not the consensus, I have bought a rice cooker today as all stove top methods fail me . I blame stupid electric hobs. They are in lidls promotion this week for 12.99. Can't go wrong for that price!

VenusRising Tue 23-Apr-13 13:53:34

This will make a big difference to my life!
Thanks ladies, no more scraping my hob top of cooked on rice water concrete!

brew and flowers all round smile

olgaga Tue 23-Apr-13 11:33:55

I love microwaved rice, it's so much nicer than in a saucepan.

This is what I have.

Really easy, just add the rice, any spices, add enough boiling water to cover rice, 3-4 minutes (900w), stir, another couple of minutes, stir, leave it for a bit while you do other stuff, drain, fluff it up and serve.

notjustamummythankyou Tue 23-Apr-13 11:27:28

Venus - yes, spot on. Any amount of rice, finger resting just on top of the surface, water up to first knuckle of forefinger. Dunno why it works, but it just does!

(Was wondering if I had just made this method up, but I've googled it and found other references to the 'knuckle' method too. Phew...my sanity remains intact.)

multitask Tue 23-Apr-13 11:26:38

When I use the microwave I use a normal pyrex dish, 2 cups rice 2 cups water 15 minutes on high, never had a fail smile

UnscentedStillRomantic Tue 23-Apr-13 11:24:22

Lolsmile The ratio seems to be 1 cup of rice to two of water.

Someone reviewing it explains it all quite well.

VenusRising Tue 23-Apr-13 11:22:20

Xpost, thanks muchly

VenusRising Tue 23-Apr-13 11:21:55

Oh do tell I scented, and have you the instructions at the ready?!
And, could you do similar with any closed bowl? (On a budget, and don't want to fork out for special bowl).

Can you do a link to the microwave bowl, pretty please! <obsessive rice cooking emoticon>

UnscentedStillRomantic Tue 23-Apr-13 11:20:27

Here Venus this is what I've just bought. Has lots of good reviews which encouraged mesmile

UnscentedStillRomantic Tue 23-Apr-13 11:17:50

I've just bought a special pot to cook rice in the microwave. Haven't used it yet as it's only just arrived.

I usually cook it on the hob (boil in the bag is my limit) but I'm hoping the microwave will be cleaner and easier and cheaper.

VenusRising Tue 23-Apr-13 11:13:33

So that's with any amount of rice notjust, and then check the water level from the top of the rice. I see! Clever!

Do you do the same microwave rice ladies? Do you have a special container, and how much water to rice, and how long, on what setting.... Details pretty please flowers

Any recipes for briyani?!

notjustamummythankyou Tue 23-Apr-13 10:53:11

Venus - do you mean the steaming on the stove method? Yes, you can do it with any kind of rice (although brown rice will probably take a bit longer to steam once you've taken it off the heat).

BTW, when I said about water up to the first knuckle, that with your finger resting on the surface of the rice, and not pushed down to the bottom of the pan, iyswim.

VenusRising Tue 23-Apr-13 10:49:50

Multitask, how do you do your rice in the microwave?
Any success form that google search mrsvillers?

VenusRising Tue 23-Apr-13 10:46:59

Ohh thanks, am going to try this later.

Hang on, this works with one cup brown long grained basmati? Yes?

multitask Tue 23-Apr-13 08:04:28

Thanks for all your replies, I am going to give stove method another try, like the idea of switching off the heat and letting it cook rather than my boil over or burn method. I like the look of a rice cooker but would struggle to find a cupboard to store it in, countertops are groaning too!

mrsvilliers Mon 22-Apr-13 18:35:56

We steam ours if you've got a steamer. Works really well. We also have a rice cooker but it makes 4 and tends to be of the sticky type for whatever reason. I didn't know you could do in the microwave, off to Google now!

notjustamummythankyou Mon 22-Apr-13 18:30:07

I do it a very similar way to Madame:

Wash your rice and stick it in a pan
Pour in enough cold water to come up to the first knuckle of your forefinger (weird, but works).
Boil until water bubbles are popping on surface and rice looks 'pitted' - about 7 minutes usually.
Take off heat, slap on lid and leave for another 7 - 10 minutes until water has gone and rice is tender.

Works every time, never sticks, never burns.

and I was taught this method by an Indian friend so it must be right wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now