Oven is broken - please share your best stove top recipes with me

(31 Posts)
Blatherskite Thu 11-Apr-13 15:21:32

My oven went bang last week sad The inner glass panel exploded while it was self cleaning so now I am pretty much oven-less for anything up to a fortnight while the part to fix it arrives. We do have a combi-oven/microwave but it's not big enough to do much in.

I have never realised quite how much we use the oven before and am now struggling to think of things to cook that only need the hob.

The children are 3 and 6 and DS won't eat anything even vaguely spicy so curries and chilli are out. I have a few batches of Bolognese sauce in the freezer but DH isn't a massive fan of pasta so will get sick of these pretty quickly. I'm on a diet and all of the risotto-type recipes I've looked at are full of cream and butter which rules them out. DD is just mega fussy. Neither of the kids will eat stir fry <sigh>

Any suggestions on things I can cook that the whole family might eat? My wallet and waist can't afford a fortnight's worth of take out and pasta!

TIA

What about stovies? Filling and not spicy, not fatty. www.stovies.com/

Traditionally they were a way of using up leftovers, but you can use whatever meat and vegetables you like.

And pretty much any kind of casserole recipe can be done on the hob instead of the oven, though I'm not sure if dumplings would turn out quite the same.

I was without an oven for 2.5 years, as DH didn't think it was worth replacing as we were going to do a full kitchen renovation 'soon'. I soon got tired of 'wet' food like stews and casseroles, so we ate a lot of flash fried fish steaks, chicken breasts, omelettes, and grilled food. My favourite summer food was main course salads with grilled chicken, or tuna steaks.

A good family meal is a big frittata, started on the stove top and finished under the grill. Just fry some cold cooked potatoes, chopped veg, mix in a bit of left over ham/meat/prawns etc, pour over beaten eggs with a few herbs added and some frozen peas, and top with grated cheese. Quick, cheap and lovely cold next day for lunch.

Frying pan pizza is also good - scone base in a frying pan, usual toppings, finish under grill. Loads of recipes on google

SanityClause Fri 12-Apr-13 13:41:19

Chicken, chickpeas and chorizo.

A tin of chick peas, drained and rinsed
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
2 chicken breasts, cubed, or 3 thighs, cubed
About 200-250 gm chorizo, cut into disks

Chuck the whole lot in a pot, add a bit of oregano

Cook slowly for about an hour and a half Use a lid for the first hour, then remove it, if it seems a bit liquid.

Chicken Cacchiatore (sp, please Italian people)

Fry some lardons, an onion, a large diced carrot and a couple of chopped celery sticks.
Add some diced chicken portions (about 250 gm in all)
Add about three cloves of crushed garlic
Chuck in about a glass of white wine, and reduce a bit.
Add a tin of canelini beans (drained and rinsed)
Add a tin of chopped tomatoes
Tuck a couple of rosemary stalks in (take them out just before serving)
Season "to taste"
Cook covered for about 1 and a half hours (but take the lid off for a bit if it seems wet).

I do a very similar lamb dish, without the lardons, but adding a large handful of black olives with the beans and tomatoes. Also juice of a lemon, 10 mins before serving.

curlyLJ Fri 12-Apr-13 21:11:06

paella? You can vary what you put into it depending on everyones likes/dislikes...

Pesto pasta? really simple and my DD/DH love it.

Blatherskite Mon 15-Apr-13 21:38:40

We tried Irish Stew. It didn't go down well and DS ate a little while DD refused to even try it.

Paella I used to do a lot in the oven. The kids aren't keen again even though DS loves fish.

I think I'm going to go safe and just buy fish and chips tomorrow after swimming lessons!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now