Nicest way to cook savoy cabbage?

(19 Posts)
Selks Sun 24-Mar-13 23:32:24

It's excellent cooked Hungarian style - saute some chopped bacon or pancetta, add shredded cabbage and a dash of water, cover and cook until just cooked through, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid for the last couple of minutes to let the liquid cook off then add a quarter teaspoon of caraway seeds, cook for a min, then add some sour cream at the last minute, stir in and take off the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Also lovely with a pinch of smoked paprika in.
Lovely with sausages smile

I love it fried with onions. My mum makes amazing curried cabbage served with chapattis.

takeaway2 Sun 24-Mar-13 23:15:53

Bacon, sausages, garlic and some thinly sliced Savoy cabbage - Nigel slater wrote about it in the guardian a few weeks back. Yum.

fallenempires Sun 24-Mar-13 23:13:48

Chop some bacon and cook in butter.Add shredded cabbage then cover with chicken stock,bring to boil then simmer 'til cooked.Drain and season.

MrsBertMacklin Sun 24-Mar-13 22:40:36

Bacon & cabbage risotto! Use smoked bacon to stand up to the strength of the savoy. Freezes well, too.

Cremolafoam Sun 24-Mar-13 22:32:05

Slice finely /shred .Quick sauté with garlic and butter. Salt and pepper . Nom

It's lovely if you steam it, whilst also sauteeing leeks gently in butter until sweet and then toss the cabbage in with the leeks. Much more delicious than it sounds.

snoworneahva Sun 24-Mar-13 16:02:16

Make some colcannon - spuds and cabbage lots of butter, a joy to eat!

Edlyu Sat 23-Mar-13 21:30:46

Sliced finely and steamed then flash 'fried' on a dry pan with either pre-fried finely sliced onions or cumin seeds.

orderinformation Sat 23-Mar-13 21:11:14

Thank you!

MrsDoomsPatterson Sat 23-Mar-13 21:09:50

Always stir fry with fresh ginger, garlic & soy sauce. It's seriously to die for!

multitask Sat 23-Mar-13 21:07:52

I've made this www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/middle-eastern-stuffed-cabbage-rolls/ and the family loved it, which is surprising as they're not big cabbage fans smile

Iwantmybed Sat 23-Mar-13 21:00:07

Similar to MrsP, stirfry in sesame oil and a touch of chinese 5 spice then steam. Heavenly..

MrsPnut Sat 23-Mar-13 20:55:48

I sort of stir fry it.

Shred it finely and cook it in a wok for a few minutes with a spoonful of hot oil.
Add a touch of stock powder or concentrate and a splash of water then cover with a lid and steam for a few minutes until tender.

I have put nigella seeds in which are nice as well.

bigbuttons Sat 23-Mar-13 20:55:26

I love it just slow cooked in butter, then sprinkled with pepper. I can eat an entire cabbage to myself cooked that way. Then I fart for england!

I just steam it and eat with lots of black pepper plus gravy. But bubble and squeak is good too. I love the stuff, so will be watching this thread greedily!

Chinateacup Sat 23-Mar-13 20:54:07

Jamie has a good one with garlic, pancetta, mozzarella, pine nuts (and pasta)

bigfatguff Sat 23-Mar-13 20:52:11

There's a nice Greedy Italians recipe for potato and cabbage bake with cheese. Goes well with roast meat.

orderinformation Sat 23-Mar-13 20:50:02

Just that really?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now