Can anyone suggest a recipe for dessert I can do in the morning and ignore in the fridge until after supper, but...

(42 Posts)
moderateorgood Fri 22-Mar-13 17:30:20

... it can't be cheesecake

... it can't be dreadfully unhealthy (a bit unhealthy is fine but not lashings of cream and butter)

... it can't be alcoholic

... it must be served chilled or room temp - I can't heat it up.

Something fruity would be good.

Any ideas?

Roseformeplease Fri 22-Mar-13 17:32:48

Cheat's crime brûlée.

Mix half and half Greek yoghurt and expensive posh custard (from the cream / chilled section in the supermarket) and put in ramekins; put sugar on top and grill / blowtorch. Leave in fridge. Serve. Be praised loudly. Never, ever tell that you didn't make it from scratch.

bluesky Fri 22-Mar-13 17:32:52

Yes, Delia's Rhubarb and Ginger Beer Jellies, from her How to Cheat book, I make them the night before, but I'm sure they'd be set if you made in the morning. They are delicious and so easy.

www.deliaonline.com/home/Print-Recipe.html?PID=1777&CID=708

moderateorgood Fri 22-Mar-13 17:33:06

Oh oh and, I have a huge tin of lychees in the cupboard I would be delighted to use up. Don't know what posessed me to buy them. Surely some sort of lychee... umm... something?

Roseformeplease Fri 22-Mar-13 17:33:22

Creme - not crime, although the cheating makes it a crime, perhaps.

moderateorgood Fri 22-Mar-13 17:34:54

I could do jelly, and that recipe looks great... but I don't eat jelly (am veggie). It would be odd to do a pudding and then not have any myself, I think?

PhyllisDoris Fri 22-Mar-13 17:35:12

Tiramisu?
Crumble?
Rice pudding?
Bakewell tart?
Trifle?
Mousse?

You can make anything in the morning and leave it til later, apart from soufflé.

moderateorgood Fri 22-Mar-13 17:35:59

cheat creme brulee sounds delish. I love creme brulee - but (sob) I can't get posh custard where I am. Only tins of birds powder.

ivykaty44 Fri 22-Mar-13 17:36:07

fruit salad

moderateorgood Fri 22-Mar-13 17:37:23

Tirimisu is alcoholic.
Crumble, rice pud and bakewell tart are best warm.
I did trifle last time (good idea though)
Mousse is terribly unhealthy.

bluesky Fri 22-Mar-13 17:39:21

Lychee and Lime Sorbet from the BBC Good Food website

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3372/refreshing-lychee-and-lime-sorbet

Artura Fri 22-Mar-13 17:42:36

Hazelnut pavlova. Egg whites, castor sugar and ready chopped hazelnuts. Make the base the night or even a few days before. Pack of frozen raspberries - take out of the freezer in the morning and let them defrost during the day with a spoonful of castor sugar. In the evening just need to whip up some cream and pop it on the pavlova then top with the raspberries. Made this for first time recently and it was yummy and much easier to make than I expected.

ZZMum Fri 22-Mar-13 17:42:36

i love a big bowlof berries, with passion fruit pulp mixed through it.. cover in greek yog/thick cream and then sprinkle with dark brown sugar - leave in fridge and the sugar melts in a kind of toffee- totally lush and easy pud!

bluesky Fri 22-Mar-13 17:43:26

I got the Feel Good Food Spring magazine today, the one that Woman & Home do, there are some brilliant recipes in there, loads of puds, loads of dishes you can freeze, baking recipes etc. It's definitely worth buying to keep on the cookery bookshelf.

moderateorgood Fri 22-Mar-13 17:43:27

That lychee and lime thing looks good. I wonder if I have time to do it.

moderateorgood Fri 22-Mar-13 17:44:44

Pavlova is a good idea. I didn't think of that.

Stealth's little gu choc pots. With lychees. Hth

Badvoc Fri 22-Mar-13 17:48:16

Prosecco jellys??

Chewbecca Fri 22-Mar-13 17:54:10

I love this roulade & I think it fits the brief (except the lychee part).
My top tip is to ensure the grease proof paper is larger than needed, makes it far easier to roll.

moderateorgood Fri 22-Mar-13 18:08:06

Oh yum. That roulade looks delicious.

ivykaty44 Fri 22-Mar-13 18:47:41

pavlova has lashings of cream confused you said no to cream?

Lamazeroo Fri 22-Mar-13 18:50:13

Chia pudding. Easiest dessert ever. Just google for recipes (on iPhone, can't link to any).

DumSpiroSpero Fri 22-Mar-13 18:57:10

Could you not just do a really nice fruit salad and serve it with optional cream/ice cream?

You could get a couple of small pineapples, half them lengthwise and scoop out to make the bowls if you want it to be a bit fancy.

Why so many 'rules' if you don't mind my asking?

OlyRoller Fri 22-Mar-13 18:59:13

Lemon meringue pie?

Becky99 Fri 22-Mar-13 19:03:25

chocolate mousse - nigella's - everytime

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now