Favourite Veggie Lasagnes?

(28 Posts)
AmandaPayne Mon 25-Feb-13 14:08:22

Just that really. I'm after some inspiration for vegetarian lasagnes. Not based around pepper or courgette as they are DD1's two hated vegetables and I try and be nice on those. I do one with spinach and ricotta. And another sort of mixed vegetable. Any other ideas?

My quest to develop my 'proper' veggie meals repertoire continues...

I do this mushroom lasagne.

Aubergines. Some extra work involved in grilling or frying the aubergines first and then layering with tomato sauce and cheese sauce, but very good. I think the recipe came from Italian Vegtarian Cookery by Paola Gavin.

AmandaPayne Mon 25-Feb-13 14:32:08

Ooh, both good ideas thanks. Mushrooms are a big hit with both the DD's, so should be a winner. Aubergines might be a bit more hit and miss but I'll definitely have a go.

couldtryharder Mon 25-Feb-13 15:56:30

I do a courgette one that's a bit like a spinach & ricotta one. Grate and lightly fry the courgette with some garlic. Season with lemon zest, salt, pepper & nutmeg. Cool a little and mix in a tub of ricotta. Layer pasta with courgette mix and either passata from a jar or homemade tomato sauce. Finish with grated cheese (cheddar or parm). Oven for half and hour or so.

AmandaPayne Mon 25-Feb-13 15:57:49

Grated courgette might well work. Apparently it is the texture DD1 objects to, she's fine with it grated in pasta sauces.

AnnIonicIsoTronic Mon 25-Feb-13 16:00:03

I do a nice recipe from the tana Ramsay book tat layers butternut squash, spaghetti and .... Something white - I forget what!

mrsvilliers Mon 25-Feb-13 16:46:40

I've got another mushroom lasagne, this time using pesto, online http://www.toddler-recipes.co.uk/green-lasagne.html

Bit of an effort to make but definitely worth it!

lolalotta Mon 25-Feb-13 16:48:07

Had you thought about making a lentil lasagne? They are YUM!!!!! grin

FrankWippery Tue 26-Feb-13 11:48:37

This one from Delia is absolutely delicious, I make it pretty much every other week.

21mealspluscake Tue 26-Feb-13 13:43:09

I make a triple layer one with mushrooms and asparagus (use tinned) on the bottom - just fry in a little butter till the mushrooms soften. Then tomato sauce next and a light cheese sauce - using something like gruyere - on the top. Very popular!

I've made a lovely one using butternut squash, mushroom and spinach. Think it was on the Waitrose site - I'll have a google.
Lovely but quite time consuming and ingredient hungry as you pre-roast the squash.

Yep, was Waitrose I just used a good pinch of dried sage, and reduced the amount of spinach as it can get a bit iron-y otherwise.

marquesas Tue 26-Feb-13 13:46:13

lolalotta - do you have a recipe you could recommend for a lentil lasagne, I had one at a veggie friends years ago and have never managed to find a recipe that looks like it.

Root99 Tue 26-Feb-13 13:53:27

I do a butternut squash, pine nuts, sage and goats cheese one. Not sure if it's from a recipe or I made it up.
It's just those ingredients layered with white sauce and pasta.

AmandaPayne Tue 26-Feb-13 14:03:50

Ooh, some more lovely ideas, thanks.

Lotta - I like the idea of lentil. What do you layer it with? I quite like the 'two layers' element to a meat lasagne. So, for example, the spinach and ricotta one I do also has a tomato sauce layer.

OneHundredSecondsofSolitude Tue 26-Feb-13 14:12:57

My local pub used to do a spinach, Stilton and walnut one which was my absolute favourite thing. Then the chef left and I've not had it since sad

lolalotta Tue 26-Feb-13 17:20:02

Amanda the lentil lasagne recipe is a Sarah Brown one from the 1980s I think, a bit retro but is so delicious! It is basically a tomato/ lentil mixture with onion, garlic, celery, red pepper and mushrooms. It is then layered with the lasagne sheets and a cheese sauce. Let me know if you would like the recipe! grin

lolalotta Tue 26-Feb-13 17:24:57

Ooops, just remembered your daughter isn't keen on peppers...

AmandaPayne Tue 26-Feb-13 18:05:29

It sounds lovely. I can always adapt the peppers, or dice really small to pass as tomato grin. Would love the recipe.

Drladybird Wed 27-Feb-13 11:25:28

Here is my all time favourite recipe for Lentil Lasagne. Easy to make and a crowd pleaser...
Other veggie lasagnes- Hugh FW has a nice recipe for squash and fennel that I have been meaning to try out (in his Veg book)

Chopchopbusybusy Wed 27-Feb-13 11:46:12

My (made up) recipe for veggie lasagne is to very finely chop an onion, one or two peppers, about 200g of mushrooms. Fry gently for a few minutes with some crushed garlic. Add a good glug of red wine and bring to the boil. Add some dried Italian mixed herbs - I use about a tablespoon, a half teaspoon of crushed dried chillies, a 400g can of chopped tomatoes, a 500g carton of passata and a 400g can of green lentils and simmer gently for about 30 minutes, seasoning to taste. I then layer it with lasagne sheets and top with mozzarella. DD2 is not so keen on mushrooms but is happy to eat them if chopped very finely. Makes a good texture for lasagne too.

Delia 4 cheese, pinenuts and spinach one, delicious. Served it to my book group women recently, they all loved it (they said, hope they weren't just being polite!)

AmandaPayne Wed 27-Feb-13 12:26:26

DrLadybird - I saw your recipe actually. I follow your blog and have been using it for inspiration for more child friendly main courses. Loved the Jambalaya and the carrot and chickpea thingy. I fancied a second element to layers though. I wonder if you could use your lentil base and layer with either a tomato sauce or a cheese one? It's that different layers element that to me makes it worth the extra effort compared to a bolagnese (which I have also made off your blog and was very nice). Thanks for the blog!

Thanks for all these great extra suggestions. I'm feeling more inspired already.

PoppadomPreach Wed 27-Feb-13 13:58:33

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now