Quick roast dinner question: carrots

(18 Posts)
kalidanger Sun 10-Feb-13 12:16:49

Thanks bertie He uses foil and no sugar for the basic recipe www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/the-best-whole-baked-carrots

I do mine in a seperate dish to the meat and potatoes. I don't boil them but give them aaages on the bottom shelf.

ceeveebee Sun 10-Feb-13 12:16:21

Always roast them, I hate boiled carrots but love them roast!

Aspiemum2 Sun 10-Feb-13 12:11:48

Roasted carrots are heavenly smile. Other than that I steam veg, keeps the flavour better than boiling

LadyMargolotta Sun 10-Feb-13 12:11:14

If I boil them , then it's with a stock cube, touch of sugar, salt and rosemary, and when I drain them, I keep the stock for gravy.

I roasted them today, fairly big chunks, with the roast potatoes.

TomArchersSausage Sun 10-Feb-13 12:11:00

I like roast carrots. A few cumin seeds sprinkled on them with the olive oil adds a nice flavour too.

Skyebluesapphire Sun 10-Feb-13 12:09:01

I roast mine with the potatoes in olive oil and rosemary

dizzy77 Sun 10-Feb-13 12:03:42

I roasted my carrots last night with the spuds, chunks cut on the diagonal (a bit cheffy but increases surface area) mixed up with onion wedges, tossed in the goose fat i was cooking potatoes in though I'd normally use oil. took about 40 mins at 180 fan. Didn't season though, forgot, they lacked a bit so would def add salt/pepper/sugar next time.

twinklesparkles Sun 10-Feb-13 11:58:56

If you've not got much time boil them first before roasting, cuts cooking time down quite a lot

I put olive oil and honey on mine with salt and pepper
I do same for parsnips smile yum

BertieBotts Sun 10-Feb-13 11:36:54

It's on his website kali

Fallenangle Sun 10-Feb-13 11:35:15

JO has a great recipe in which you boil upright in watter with a big dollop of butter when water has boiled away they go all sticky and buttery on one end. Otherwise roast like parsnips but for a bit longer. Rolled in chopped rosemary if poss.

LtEveDallas Sun 10-Feb-13 11:33:36

I par boil in chunks, then wrap in foil and a Touch of butter and put in the bottom of the oven for the last hour before serving (when the roasties are cooking). I use the carrot water in the gravy for sweetness.

Pinner35 Sun 10-Feb-13 11:33:22

Always peel carrots......and they are def better steamed.

Carrots roasted with a llittle honey are lovely.

kalidanger Sun 10-Feb-13 11:29:40

I just looked in my Naked Chef (1p from Amazon) and there's nothing under Carrots or Roasted in the index sad

I sometimes do roast carrots and parsnips just peel them and toss in olive oil, season then bung in the over for 40mins. Depending on what I'm serving them it I might sprinkle with cumin or drizzle with maple syrup 10 minutes before I take them out.

If I've got chanteney carrots I boil them then saute in butter and a bit of orange juice.

BertieBotts Sun 10-Feb-13 11:24:26

I like boiled or steamed carrots. Jamie Oliver has a good line on how to roast them, though.

kalidanger Sun 10-Feb-13 11:23:06

I get BIG carrots, scrub 'em (don't peel), cut them into chunky batons (CHUNKY), season, oil and generously sprinkle with the nicest sugar I have (think organic unbleached stuff) and roast 'em. I'm not the world's best cook and this is idiot-proof.

<drools>

IamGrover Sun 10-Feb-13 11:19:12

Steam

Boil

Or roast?

And how would one roast a carrot if that I'd indeed an option?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now