(sigh) Butternut squash in my veg box. What can I do with it?

(65 Posts)
FlouncingMintyy Wed 06-Feb-13 18:12:05

Can't get excited about squash, pumpkin, courgette etc. I have never ever been tempted to try a squash soup for eg. Can anyone suggest a tempting/slightly interesting recipe?

Don't have a baby or toddler in the house, btw.

Tia

GetOrf Wed 06-Feb-13 21:05:18

lol at Richard.

Is that Richard Madeley?

Or Richard III

I don't like it either, far too rich and sweet, but am going to look through all these ideas and see if any of them might disguise it sufficiently to make me want to eat it.

bigTillyMint Wed 06-Feb-13 21:14:07

ROFL at Richard grin

CelticPromise Wed 06-Feb-13 21:16:16

I've tried it roasted with skin on, it's fine.

jennimoo Wed 06-Feb-13 21:17:05

I came up with a 'pesto' which is easy to do if you roast the 2 deseeded halves (skin on) in advance. I donut whenbibhave the oven on for something else and keep in the fridge.
I microwave to heat and blitz with:
Parmesan
Toasted pine nuts
Olive oil
Sometimes chilli of some sort

Stirred through pasta and sprinkled with fried pancetta I feels like a posh restaurant meal, according to my DH!

GetOrf Wed 06-Feb-13 21:18:00

Richard reminds me of megglavache's thread the other day - mustard screams.

GladbagsGold Wed 06-Feb-13 21:22:22

I can't believe no one has suggested a Vegetapal.

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 06-Feb-13 21:24:05

I'm a bit of an expert at getting rid of butternut squash constructively. wink In fact, the solution lies in baking it into muffins and cakes and bread. There. We despatched ours in 6 loaves of bread and one lot of muffins. It was a big squash.

I buy a squash weekly! here are my favourites:

Sarah’s Curry
Serves 2
I swear by shop bought curry pastes!
½ Tin of tomatoes
1 big table spoon of curry paste
Any veg you like: I recommend-
A good handful of Spinach
Chick peas
Butternut squash
Onions
Garlic
Ginger
Peel and chop the squash into small cubes, then boil in water for about 5-10 minutes until it is starting to soften. Meanwhile, peel and finely chop onion, garlic and ginger, fry gently in a little oil until soft, but not too brow. Stir in the curry paste and leave to cook for about 3 mins then add the tomatoes, cooked squash. Next add about ¼ of a pint of tap water and stir through. Leave to simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Whilst you put the rice on. When the rice is about 5 mins away from being done, stir into the curry a handful of chickpeas and the spinach, it may seem like a lot of spinach, but it will go to nothing!
Once the spinach has wilted the curry is ready to serve. I like it with some mango chutney on the side.

Butternut squash soup
Serves 6
1 onion chopped
2 sticks of celery
2 chopped carrots
½ large chopped butternut squash
1 large leek chopped
1 large chopped sweet potato
1 herb bouquet
1 ½ pints of veg stock
2 tsp olive oil

Brown all veg in frying pan with the olive oil, add the stock and the herb then slow cook for approx 12 hours on a low, then blitz with a blender until smooth (you can add a drizzle of single cream if needed) freezes really well!! I love this with a little worcester sauce!

I also peel and cut some squash into wedges and roast with some olive oil, mixed herbs and seasoning and have rather than oven chips, with some mayo! I'm starving now!!!

seeker Wed 06-Feb-13 22:06:01

The most delicious soup in the world.

The most delicious caramelized roast thing to have with grilled lamb chops and rocket.

DearPrudence Wed 06-Feb-13 22:26:31

Butternut squash is my absolute favourite vegetable. Love this thread for new ideas.

thixotropic Wed 06-Feb-13 22:30:13

1) Roast it with garlic, have with sun dried tomatoes and pasta or risotto. Yum.

Or

2)Post it to me.

drjohnsonscat Wed 06-Feb-13 22:35:13

I roast onions and bns together and then bake some chicken marinated in cumin on top of the onions and bns. Then I stir the onions and bns into couscous with dried apricots, chickpeas and pine nuts and serve with the chicken and humous and yogurt.

It's also good as a filler-outer in a sausage casserole.

DewDr0p Wed 06-Feb-13 22:38:11

YY to HFW's north african squash & chickpea soup.

I did a great Thai curry off bbc good food last week - lots of other good ideas on there too.

Or Ottolenghi does some great stuff with it (think lots of his recipes on guardian website - try the ultimate winter couscous)

DewDr0p Wed 06-Feb-13 22:38:45

Oh and Jamie Oliver's b squash muffins are yummy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now