(sigh) Butternut squash in my veg box. What can I do with it?

(65 Posts)
FlouncingMintyy Wed 06-Feb-13 18:12:05

Can't get excited about squash, pumpkin, courgette etc. I have never ever been tempted to try a squash soup for eg. Can anyone suggest a tempting/slightly interesting recipe?

Don't have a baby or toddler in the house, btw.

Tia

squidgeberry Wed 06-Feb-13 18:43:39

Cut into thick slices and roast a chicken on top of the squash and a few unpeeled garlic cloves and thyme. Eat some of the squash with the roast, and make soup with the rest plus some chicken stock.

squidgeberry Wed 06-Feb-13 18:44:53

Cut into thick slices and roast a chicken on top of the squash and a few unpeeled garlic cloves and thyme. Eat some of the squash with the roast, and make soup with the rest plus some chicken stock.

CelticPromise Wed 06-Feb-13 18:49:25

I second the recommendation for HFW's squash and chickpea stew. it's lush.

Tonight I'm making a Thai curry with one. Chop onion and garlic, cook, add thai curry paste, stir in deseeded and chopped squash, add tin of coconut milk, cook til tender, finish with fish sauce, lime juice and coriander, serve with rice.

Another one of my favourite easy meals is chucking bite size pieces of squash in a roasting tray with onion wedges, chopped up sausages, rosemary and squashed garlic cloves, toss in oil and roast for about 40 mins.

Hungry now smile

It's the only veg dish that the meat eaters will eat in my house- butternut squash curry.

Newyearoldmum Wed 06-Feb-13 18:51:19

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7767/butternut-squash-and-sage-risotto

This is yummy - if you don't want it to be meat free you could fry off some pancetta cubes or lardons and sprinkle through.

twofalls Wed 06-Feb-13 18:53:04

Chilli. Cook with chorizo, chilli, tinned toms, red peppers and beans serve with coriander, dollop of sour cream and crusty bread.

legalalien Wed 06-Feb-13 18:55:45

One of my favourite salads, with roasted pumpkin (butternut is fine), rocket, olives, feta and pumpkin seeds

Recipe here: cuisine.co.nz/cuisine.nsf/recipes/roasted-pumpkin-feta-salad-on-toast?Opendocument&HighLight=2,Pumpkin,feta,salas

Hope link works, if not put pumpkin and feta as search terms in the recipe search box

kerala Wed 06-Feb-13 19:00:57

Roast it put it in a risotto with blue cheese or parmesan delish

I am actually a bit offended that you feel so ambivalent about the wonderful butternut squash.

bigkidsdidit Wed 06-Feb-13 19:14:10

I love them but can never be bothered to peel.
Wish you could buy ready-peeled ones!

MistyB Wed 06-Feb-13 19:14:32

Cake!!! I have tried googling Harry Eastman's recipes to no avail but her Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache recipe book has amazing cake recipes swapping butter for vegetables (the best ones have squash in!)

FlouncingMintyy Wed 06-Feb-13 19:21:02

Cripes, you only need to open your mouth to offend someone on Mumsnet these days!

Waitrose do frozen and peeled butternut squash. The peeling is a pain.

I was only joking minty- I do love it though.

caffeinated Wed 06-Feb-13 20:21:08

Google Jamie Oliver's jools favorite beef stew. It has butternut in and I thought it was random but it gives a very slight sweetness and is delicious.

Chewbecca Wed 06-Feb-13 20:27:06

I use the same risotto recipe as newyearoldmum but I leave out the fried sage leaves. I love it but DH doesn't, he misses the meat.

bigbadbarry Wed 06-Feb-13 20:29:33

this is extraordinarily delicious and not at all faffy.

FlouncingMintyy Wed 06-Feb-13 20:51:59

Goodness, I don't think I've ever had such a fruitful thread before. Thanks for all the replies. Will try and look at my squash in a different light!

MumOfTheMoos Wed 06-Feb-13 20:56:58

I second the risotto - fry in a mixture of oil and butter with some parsley, then add in Richard, a glass of white wine or vermouth and stock. At then and add shed loads Parmesan and a pile of butter right at the end!

Liskey Wed 06-Feb-13 20:59:30

Jamie oliver also has a recipe for butternut squash muffins - very similar to carrot cake - and they seems to disappear quickly!

TheInnerSea Wed 06-Feb-13 21:00:29

For those who find peeling a faff, HFW
roasting with skin on and eating the lot. Apparently skin goes chewy and delicious _ never been brave enough to try it though!

bigbadbarry Wed 06-Feb-13 21:01:25

Lol @ Richard smile Is that Richard Rice?

bigbadbarry Wed 06-Feb-13 21:01:46

Ps roast with skin on is lush, roast with skin off, meh.

Megglevache Wed 06-Feb-13 21:03:16

peel (ouch) roast with a tiny bit of oil, coconut milk, chiili flakes and onions, salt and pepper.

Ridonkulously good. Like the easier curry ever.

GetOrf Wed 06-Feb-13 21:04:32

Oh god no mintyy, throw the squash away, they are loathsome.

Firstly I hate the name (it sounds like it was dreamt up by the vegetable marketing board in the 80s) and secondly I cannot stand the taste of any squashes, especially butternuts and pumpkins.

PLUS have you ever looked inside a pumpkin? Fucking scary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now