'Fancy' meal for vegetarian

(20 Posts)
MrsBertMacklin Sun 03-Feb-13 11:59:45

Help needed, please.

I'm having my boss over for dinner next week, who is vegetarian. I am more than happy to cook an entirely vegetarian meal, as it's just the two of us.

But I'm stumped on what to do for the main course. I'm thinking more Michelin than McCartney.

Any suggestions please, that don't involve goat's cheese (rank)?

I think personally that it would look a bit weird to be serving up Michelin-esque food when it's just the two of you tbh.

Food that's nice and a bit 'special' tasting without looking too try-hard might be:

- a risotto with asparagus and/or artichokes - or even a nice mushroom risotto
- a tart with salad: I did a gorgeous mushroom, spinach and camembert one last week which am happy to post for you
- a caramelised onion and Gouda quiche
- stuffed butternut squash
- stuffed mushrooms
- a lovely Thai curry

Ilisten2theradio Sun 03-Feb-13 12:26:27
gastrognome Sun 03-Feb-13 12:58:19

Veggie tagine (e.g. sweet potatoes, chickpeas, onions, carrots, tomatoes, spices) with flatbread?

Selection of home made curry dishes? (nice "authentic" ones from an Indian cookbook, I mean)

Papardelle pasta with cream, mushrooms and toasted hazelnuts?

Open lasagne of roasted veg with buffalo mozzarella, fresh parmesan and tomato coulis? (sounds and looks posh, but is just deconstructed veggie lasagne really)

Curtsey Sun 03-Feb-13 13:00:12

Remus's suggestions are great, agree go for an intimate supper-type vibe instead of ultra posh. A lentil lasagne and really excellent green salad would be just fab either. Who doesn't like lasagne? And a lovely bottle of red.

MrsBertMacklin Sun 03-Feb-13 13:33:58

Thanks for all the suggestions. Don't worry, wasn't planning on presenting anything pretentious, just want something veering towards that end of the spectrum!
Tagine/curry sounds like the way forward, also means I can do most of the prep/cooking today!

13Iggis Sun 03-Feb-13 13:55:13

It's worth asking if there's anything they dislike - being veggie doesn't mean liking everything veggie (I hate chickpeas, for example).
I think it's nice you're making an effort for them.

MrsBertMacklin Sun 03-Feb-13 16:10:52

13Iggis Yes, she's already told me what she doesn't like, only mushrooms and onions on the list, so curry will be a good one for that reason too, lots of other seasonings in there.

It's nice to have a cooking challenge!

gastrognome Sun 03-Feb-13 16:43:08

Mamta's Kitchen is a great site for curry recipes. Lots of lesser known dishes on there, if you are looking! Loads of veggie ones of course.

gastrognome Sun 03-Feb-13 16:43:30

Mamta's Kitchen is a great site for curry recipes. Lots of lesser known dishes on there, if you are looking! Loads of veggie ones of course.

Drladybird Mon 04-Feb-13 09:55:19

If I was in your shoes, I'd make curries from scratch or a homemade quiche (always a winner) or a posh lasagne, say fennel and butternut squash with blue cheese. Good luck!

gastrognome Mon 04-Feb-13 11:33:23

Sorry for double post, kept getting error messages so couldn't see what was going on blush

MrsBertMacklin Mon 04-Feb-13 11:53:14

Final menu for tomorrow night, then:

Noodle rolls with peanut dipping sauce

Vietnamese curry

Coconut & vanilla panna cotta (made with agar)

13Iggis Mon 04-Feb-13 12:24:18

I'm coming!

Lovely! Any chance of a recipe for the curry?

MrsBertMacklin Thu 07-Feb-13 22:12:03

Curry recipe I had to make a couple of substitutions, turned out fine.

AllBellyandBoobs Thu 07-Feb-13 22:28:39

Parmigiana Di Melanzane is delicious and easy to make. Also seems to be the one thing I make that all meat eaters enjoy without wishing there was some meat in there too. Best make sure you get parmesan that is suitable for vegetarians though. HFW does a very similar dish using mozzarella, also yummy

Looks lovely, thank you. What on earth is coconut soda though?

MrsBertMacklin Fri 08-Feb-13 22:51:29

Coconut soda is a fizzy drink made with coconut water. I just used canned coconut juice instead.

Thank you. Never heard of canned coconut juice either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now