Tips for making crispy duck for pancakes please!!

(10 Posts)
RarelyAGobshite Sat 02-Feb-13 18:28:52

Tried and tested tips please.

Chef google has a few recipes but would like one that definitely works.

Tia

Ohhelpohnoitsa Sat 02-Feb-13 18:34:00

i have always pricked the skin all over then poured 3 or 4 kettles full og boiling water over. Seems to make for s very crispy skin.

I do mine on a rack in a baking tray so all the fat drains underneath, covered in 5 spice and skin pricked.

I have trouble finding the pancakes locally though. Have to go to Asian market to get them. If you know of any supermarket that sells them please share. smile

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 02-Feb-13 18:58:03

Make them. grin It's a bit tedious, but not difficult. And nicer than bought ones. Maybe because it's not so small and thin and pathetic like how they are served in restaurants.

RarelyAGobshite Sat 02-Feb-13 18:59:31

Ooh will try both of them thanks.

I couldn't find any pancakes so I've bought some spring roll paper-I think it's the same to be honest-just bigger. From the freezer section in asda, in the Asian bit.

Used it before to make feta, mozzarella and spinach parcels so I think they should be fine!

I do it the same way as Jax - stab the beast with a fork all over, getting right through the skin, then pat it with a bit of kitchen roll, sprinkle over some 5 Spice, then roast on a rack in the oven at 200 degrees (Gas 8?) until all the fat is rendered (pour it off from time to time if to much gathers underneath), and the outside is mahogany brown and crispy. Take out of oven, rest for 30 mins, then pull all the meat and skin off the carcass with 2 forks.

Can't help with the pancakes, 'cos I (low carb) don't eat them - but a crisp lettuce leaf works just as well smile

WantToFindWorkLifeBalance Sun 03-Feb-13 10:42:34

Have always just done the v simple Nigella recipe - cooking it on rack for 5+ hours. Waitrose sells the pancakes usually - they are in the fridge with Chinese ready meals.

Ruffello Sun 03-Feb-13 21:42:54

I think the duck they sell in Chinese restaurants is deep fried. I don't think roasting gives quite the same effect. this recipe looks promising.

Ruffello Sun 03-Feb-13 21:46:21

thanks for pancake recipe copper and yes furry I ahem used to low carb.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now