Biscuit base for cheesecake

(7 Posts)
jalopy Sat 08-Dec-12 14:16:31

I cant seem to get the base right. It's either way too dry,flakey or crumbley or solid where I can't cut it into slices. Where am I going wrong.

I've got the topping sorted out but need a fail-proof biscuit base. My dish is 9" or 23cm.

Please give me your successful recipes for a decent base.

Thanks. Back later.

HazeltheMcWitch Sat 08-Dec-12 14:24:29

I'd do a biscuit to butter ratio of 2:1. So 1/2 the weight of butter to biscuit.
Re biscuit, you want one that's not too dry. Flakey/crumbly base sounds to me like it's too dry. So no to rich tea, oreos or 'nice', unless you want to use more butter. Shortbread probably a bit too buttery. Digestives are good, whether chocolatey or not.

The you want pat it down evenly, but don't push it down. If you really compact it, and then chill it, it'll be impossible to cut.

Mine do this too. Some recipes have too much butter and some too little. I do it by eye now. <unhelpful>

I add a spoon of demerara sugar to my bases. I dont know how or why, but it makes them so much nicer!

jalopy Sun 09-Dec-12 10:25:13

Thanks. I'll give it another go.

I use ginger nuts and butter, but then I bake my base for about five minutes or so.

StNickHasHisXmasTeakozyOn Sun 09-Dec-12 11:12:48
PolterGoose Sat 15-Dec-12 21:20:10

Instead of melting the butter, just cut it into cubes and blitz with the biscuits in a food processor, makes a much nicer textured base and easier too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now