Has anyone tried baking croissant? I'd like a link to a full-proof recipe.

(6 Posts)
ssaw2012 Tue 04-Dec-12 11:56:12

Thank you for the responses. It looks as preparing croissants is so time-consuming. Mrsvilliers, thank you for the recipe. I think I am going to try it. 20 min against 2 days, I do not know but we will see.
I still have some Waitrose crissants in the freezer. Once they are finished I will try the 20-min recipe.
FireOverBabylon, thank you as well for the book.

PepperMintonCandyCane Mon 03-Dec-12 22:01:42

There is a reason that the French have a bakery in every village...stick to Waitrose and fill your freezer.

mrsvilliers Mon 03-Dec-12 21:59:20

Apparently Edd Kimber's 20 minute recipe is good http://theboywhobakes.co.uk/2012/05/20-minute-croissant-dough/

I haven't tried it as don't have enough room in my tiny kitchen for all the rolling!

UptoapointLordCopper Mon 03-Dec-12 18:50:05

I have various recipes but croissant is one of my more memorable failures. Butter leaked out. Pastry hard and burnt. Even the kids remember this, and it was moons ago. grin

Sorry no help.

There's a good recipe in this book but making croissants is hugely complicated - they get their crispiness in the same way as puff pastry - the dough be ing repeatedly rolled out with butter in between the layers, often over several days.

ssaw2012 Mon 03-Dec-12 15:10:32

My kids love croissants but we always cooke them from frozen. Because Waitrose is not near us (they sell frozen croissants), I would like to learn how to bake them. I just do not know which recipe to use. Would be grateful for any suggestions.
Many thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now