Butternut squash

(16 Posts)
VitoCorleone Sun 27-Jan-13 21:12:58

My 4 year old has been learning about and trying different fruit and veg at nursary and one of his teachers told me that he absolutley loved the butternut squash.

So ive gone and bought one with no idea what to do with it, the teacher mentioned something about putting butter on it, but i cant remember what exactly she said.

So what do i do with it? Do i peel it or bake it in the oven like a jacket potato? Or boil it? I have no idea!

CanIHaveAPetGiraffePlease Sun 27-Jan-13 21:16:26

I like soup and risotto!

DisappointedHorse Sun 27-Jan-13 21:21:03

It's really nice with goats cheese! I make parcels from filo stuffed with butternut squash, goats cheese, red pepper and pine nuts.

I also like it stuffed with spicy mince, and yes, soups and risottos.

Selks Sun 27-Jan-13 21:21:05

Cut into large chunks (remove skin and pips) and roast. You can then just eat it or use it in risotto or with pasta.

It's also lovely in a butternut, chickpea and coconut curry, and makes great soup. Lots of recipes here

peeriebear Sun 27-Jan-13 21:23:52

Mash it up with spuds. DD2's favourite dinner is 'orange mash'!

ceeveebee Sun 27-Jan-13 21:36:10

I put it in sausage or chicken casserole, or thai curry.
Or cut into wedges and roast

OohMrDarcy Sun 27-Jan-13 21:39:11

cut into chunks (scraping off seeds)

put on baking tray

drizzle with olive oil and herbs

roast around same temp / time as roast potatoes...YUM grin

can eat the skin but I cut off

NotInMyDay Sun 27-Jan-13 21:39:37

Peel and dice (you'll need a strong, sharp knife) and add to curries, Tagine and risotto.
Bung into any soup where sweetness would be appreciated.

I adore butternut squash wink

VitoCorleone Sun 27-Jan-13 22:50:36

Thanks all, think i will roast some of it/make wedges and put the rest into soup or something, ive never tasted it before but ive heard its nice.

thereistheball Mon 28-Jan-13 19:49:01

I know I'm late for this but I just made quite a good lunch for a veggie friend of roast butternut (cooked to the point of collapse with olive oil, whole garlic cloves and lots fresh sage) and orchiette pasta. When they were both cooked I mixed them together with some cream and parmesan and baked them for 10 minutes, then served them over rocket. it was delicious (although not the diet option it must be less calorific than macaroni cheese and certainly more elegant)

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 28-Jan-13 20:39:08

Jamie Oliver does it with the skin on. Roasted or something.

Anyway he says its nice.

discrete Mon 28-Jan-13 20:41:50

We like it stuffed (bake whole in the oven, cut in half, take out seeds and then fill with whatever you fancy), but it's also really good just steamed, or added to the pan under a roast chicken where it can absorb all the fat from the bird!

Drladybird Tue 29-Jan-13 11:40:18

We like it in curries and squash and pecan muffins

Hattifattner Tue 29-Jan-13 11:45:19

it is very delicious!...To make it easier to cut, bung it in a microwave for a minute or two - softens up the skin.

I like mine roasted, like spuds. Or chopped up in stews. Especially with lamb (slurp).

It also makes lovely soup as it purees down to nothing.

sheeplikessleep Tue 29-Jan-13 11:50:08

I roast with garlic and mix with pasta and feta cheese (the saltiness of the cheese is lovely against the sweetness of the squash).

Squash risotto is delicious too.

I love it. Lots of options. You can slice it very thinly and use on a tart (use pre-rolled pastry and some goat or feta cheese), but usually we roast it. Yummy like that. Soup is lovely too (butter, bit of grated ginger, chopped skinless butternut, cook with lid on until it collapses, and then addchicken or veg stock. 10 mins. Whizz.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now