anyone want to talk to me about brining?

(7 Posts)
chickencurryfor7 Sun 27-Jan-13 21:05:28

Not salty at all! We have a large bell weber BBQ so it fits in whole and un-spatchcocked. You need a large disposable baking tray for it and you put the coals all round the edge to create a convection oven. Cook for 10/15 mins per pound plus 15 mins and voila, whole BBQ turkey!

Actually it's brilliant as I can use my oven for all the other trimmings Nd there's no stressing about oven space.

TheArmadillo Sun 27-Jan-13 19:40:39

Was it particularly salty in taste?

Have swapped ribs for the brisket we were going to have for lunch today to make US style corned beef. Made brine of salt/sugar/peppercorns/bay leaf. Is in fridge. Will turn in the morning and daily according to recipe and should be ready to cook Friday or Saturday. Am really excited.

Tried making a brine with a pickling spice recipe but stank so strongly of cloves once heated I chucked it rather than risk ruining £10 worth of brisket and made a basic one instead.

Lol at sophist Turkey though. How do you bbq a whole Turkey? Do you spatchcock it?

chickencurryfor7 Sun 27-Jan-13 18:23:28

*moist grin

chickencurryfor7 Sun 27-Jan-13 18:22:43

We brined our turkey last year before we barbecued it, it was sophist and delicious, I'd love to hear how the beef turns out!

TheArmadillo Sat 26-Jan-13 15:12:42

Fantastic, thanks. Will get it in this weekend for next week

bickie Sat 26-Jan-13 14:50:37

That is exactly what kosher salt is - sea salt. I did a dry rub on pork the other day - it does make a difference. Or in water and salt is another way to keep meat moist. Nigella and Heston are fans!

TheArmadillo Sat 26-Jan-13 14:48:16

I bought some beef short/flat ribs from the butcher today as fancied trying something different. Having had a Google of various dull as fuck recipes I came across a sort of dry brine type one that looks good.

Have always wanted to have a go at brining but have only ever found American recipes that ask for kosher salt and I cannot work out a British equivalent. I have a bag of posh sea salt - would that do?

Any advice welcomed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now