Burns Night Meal

(14 Posts)
Allalonenow Tue 22-Jan-13 11:14:21

Oh you are right 4merly, Cullen Skink is a wonderful hearty winter soup, just right for this snowy weather. But I think it is a meal in itself, so I'll probably do something light for a starter, especially as I've added a pudding now.

Think I might have Cullen Skink for lunch this week mind, sticks to your ribs, as my mother would say.

AllAlone - will let you know IF it arrives!

They showed some burns dishes on Sunday brunch on Sunday. Not sure if they have their recipes online but they also had a whisky sauce.
They also made haggis nachos?!?!

Surely, with the cold weather we have at the moment, you should be thinking "Cullen Skink" as a starter, rather than crab. It is a real winter warmer.

Allalonenow Mon 21-Jan-13 15:56:47

Remus ~ If you've got time, I'd like to hear what you think of the Sainsburys vegetarian haggis, as DS is vegetarian, and it would be something different for him to try.

multitask Mon 21-Jan-13 11:40:28

As a vegan I am using these recipes

deeitsy.wordpress.com/2011/01/23/a-vegan-burns-supper-includes-vegan-haggis-clootie-dumpling/

The whisky sauce here is used as an accomplement to the cloutie pudding, that's what we'll be usuing it for. I do think that a dram of whisky maybe more traditional for the haggis though.. but I will stand corrected if wrong as I no connections with Scotland whatsoever just planning hopefully a nice Burn's night. smile

Allalonenow Mon 21-Jan-13 09:44:07

Thanks so much for all the help everyone.

The whisky sauce from BBC Good Food is like a creamy mustard sauce, so is mustard traditional with haggis?

Oh yes, cranachan does sound delicious, is the oatmeal the same as porridge oats? I think I will make this too, and is it served with shortbread?

I've listed the cheeses and will see what I can get hold of, they all sound interesting.

Clueless, it's a pity we are so far apart, or you could have come too!

I was wondering what the whisky sauce was for, definitely a modern adaptation. I recommend grating nutmeg and pinch of cinnamon into the beeps with lashings of butter. Cranachan is lovely and if you can get hold of some starthdon blue cheese it is divine and made very close to me. Dh offshore and the kids don't like haggis so I'll not be partaking this year, enjoy

Meandacat Sun 20-Jan-13 22:53:59

Also, be aware that a turnip/neep in Scotland = a swede in England.

Cranachan is gorgeous.

I've put a veggie haggis in my Sainsbo's basket but I suspect that our silly store won't actually succeed in delivering one. If it does, we'll just have it with tatties and neeps and then cranachan. Just remembered about this - listed my meal plan for the week on another thread and had completely forgotten I'd ordered it!

florry88 Sun 20-Jan-13 21:24:13

all sounds lovely, but just to ad the whiskey sauce is not traditional at all, and a "foreign" import to the burns night meal!!

enjoy

multitask Sun 20-Jan-13 21:11:07

Oh can't offer any suggestions but just to say we are doing a Burn's Night too and we're not Scottish either. We're doing Cock-a-leekie soup, vegan Haggis, tatties & neeps with cloutie pudding to finish. DH has bought a meat haggis but think he'll be the only one eating it. Whiskey sauce we're going to make with either a cornflour or custard but traditionally I think it is whiskey and cream smile

HyvaPaiva Sun 20-Jan-13 19:44:28

Whisky sauce is very straightforward, here is a recipe. I recommend the Clava Brie, Grimbister and Dunsyre cheeses here. Also if you want a pudding, definitely Cranachan. One last thing, since it's Scottish, we have neeps with haggis not 'mashed turnips' wink grin. Have fun, OP!

Allalonenow Sun 20-Jan-13 17:47:14

I'm not Scottish, but thought it would be fun to do a Burns Night meal this Friday.
My menu so far is, fish or sea food starter (maybe crab), haggis and mashed turnips, Scottish cheese and oatcakes.
Any advice, tips, ideas, would be very welcome, especially how to make whisky sauce and recommendations for cheese.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now