Clearing out the freezer & cupboards challenge

(245 Posts)
jenduck Sun 20-Jan-13 10:56:43

So, I am having a very expensive month (car failed MOT, cat got in another fight, birthdays etc) & it has struck me that I have 2 freezers & an understairs cupboard full to bursting with food that needs to be eaten! So, I am challenging myself to see how long I can go without buying anything (other than basics)

Who would like to join me? We could perhaps give each other inspiration for recipes for the random ingredients that we find?

Tonight's dinner is Fray Bentos pie (blush but yummy!) with mash, veg from freezer & gravy - warming, delicious & easy on a day like today!

atthewelles Fri 25-Jan-13 16:26:30

I defrosted some bolognaise sauce yesterday and put the pasta on to cook. When I went to heat up the bolognaise it was chicken casserole confused.

So tonight's dinner is chicken casserole with mash and peas.

HearMyRoar Fri 25-Jan-13 17:44:49

Yesterday I failed completely, I was so knackered after another night of barely any sleep and the kitchen was mayhem due to new washing machine delivery, I ended up phoning dp and begging him to pick up soup on the way home blush

Skipped work early today and made a lovely sausages thing using up some left over veg bits in the fridge.

BerylStreep Fri 25-Jan-13 17:50:50

Well I have just looked in my 'Rice & Grains' box in the cupboard. Honestly, who knew there was such a range, and it would appear that in some carb induced 'rice and grain' trance I have bought it all, with the intention of allowing it to languish in my cupboard. I have:

Fragrant thai rice
Brown rice
Basmati rice
wild rice
camargue red rice
arborio risotto rice
millet seeds
quinoa
red & white quinoa
buckwheat
bulgar wheat
cous cous

Have found a recipe for quiche with a brown rice crust, which I will try tomorrow.

jenduck Fri 25-Jan-13 17:52:54

I also had a bit of a failure yesterday blush as DH was very late home, again <bloody trains> so he just got chippy chips on the way home. Then today we took the kids for free fish & chips at BHS (well, free if you buy a hot drink, so cost us just over £5 for 3 x fish & chips). link if anyone's interested in free food grin

So, tomorrow we will probably have the ham & mushroom pies we didn't have yesterday & then may roast a leg/shoulder of lamb from the freezer on Sunday & use leftover meat throughout the week.

Mum2Fergus Fri 25-Jan-13 17:53:42

Mash and sausages courtesy of freezer, onion and carrots from veg drawer and gravy. Doing a pasta thing tomorrow, chilli and wedges on Sunday...getting there smile

Today's dinner is

Hot and spicy chicken wings (from bbq last July) and uncle Ben's rice).

Virgil Fri 25-Jan-13 19:21:26

Berylstreep I'm also going to try to do the toiletries thing. We have loads lurking around.

DCs have had fishfingers sandwiches (full roast beef dinner at school today) followed by apple pie from the freezer. DH and I are having freezer amb stew with dumplings. Yum

Virgil Fri 25-Jan-13 19:23:01

I'd advise against the brown rice crust on the quiche. We have chickens so eat a lot of quiche. The time I tried to do a rice crust, the lot ended up in the bin. It was truly disgusting.

Would be interested in the recipe if it works though!

I'm watching this with interest! We emigrated last year so tried to eat all our food up. After a while, I got fed up of trying to feed the children tinned beans and custard and broadly gave up. However, we did take a packing box full of unopened packets of dried goods (sadly only those within sell by dates) to a food bank. Might be worth considering for those of you moving house! It saves throwing things away, and hopefully really helped some people.

I've just had another baby, so we're currently living out of the freezer (and the largesse of neighbours) but when I come to cooking again, I think the store cupboard could pretty much see us through a nuclear winter! Which might be just as well as it's just started snowing here (east coast of the US) and can apparently snow for a very long time.

ZenNudist Fri 25-Jan-13 19:40:54

I have been trying to use up freezer stuff for a while, it's just got full of random bits. I don't have much 'naice' stuff in there, certainly no joints of meat or steaks!

My cupboards are a nightmare, I have way too many spices that don't get used, plus the randomy things like tinned mackerel or jars if artichokes that seem like a good idea at the time but never ever get used.

BerylStreep Fri 25-Jan-13 19:59:42

Zen - what about a tapas themed meal - artichokes, mackerel pate etc.

Funny, I have a tin of artichokes and I can't remember why.

Am doing the rice crust quiche tomorrow, so will let you know how it goes.

Leilandri Fri 25-Jan-13 20:45:47

Had enchiladas for tea tonight (made a few months ago and frozen) and chippy chips for tea.
Did re-stock freezer somewhat today when shopping, as I added 6x 4pts of milk and 9 loaves of bread, but these will only last a fortnight!!

Homemade pizza for tea tomorrow using up dough frozen ages ago, and also a pot of frozen pizza sauce, and some frozen grated mozzarella.

thereistheball Sat 26-Jan-13 01:50:09

We are doing this. We've eaten really well this week. I don't want to have to do any cooking til the end of the month so without having to put together elaborate meals from individual ingredients, we will be eating:

-chorizo and chickpea stew (from cupboard, with frozen onions)
-bacon sandwiches (or - better - salad, if I can get a bag of fresh spinach)
-frozen beef stew with baked potatoes
-roast lamb shanks and veg
-some kind of puff pastry tart (maybe courgette and cherry tomato, with frozen fresh pesto)
-pasta puttanesca
-egg-fried rice with peas, ham, sweet corn
-breaded fish with lemon, garlic and coriander sauce, and veg

HearMyRoar Sat 26-Jan-13 16:39:57

Homemade left over bits pizza in the oven for dinner tonight. Its got chicken, sausage, cherry toms, aubergine, onion and some tomato sauce from a jar hanging about in the back of a cupboard. Yum! grin

UniS Sat 26-Jan-13 17:18:26

Yesterday tea- jacket spud with tinned tuna and crudities ( not a freezer clear, but part of the fridge clear.)

Lunch today - scones ( freezer)
Today tea - stir fry pork with noodles. Completing the veg from fridge clear, pork from freezer.

Virgil Sat 26-Jan-13 17:34:38

Lunch was bacon sandwiches and dinner is about to be chicken risotto using chicken, onions and wine dregs all from the freezer.

gaelicsheep Sat 26-Jan-13 17:36:20

I'm reading this hoping none of you gets snowed in before you've restocked!

Ruprekt Sat 26-Jan-13 17:38:54

My freezer is stacked with Waitrose reduced food!

Atm we have

pork fillet
2 monkfish fillets - £2
pork joint - £3
sausages
minced beef x 3
minced pork x 1
prawns x 5 packets
cod x 2
sweetcorn
peas
garlic, parsley and coriander
2 x goat cheese garlic bread
scotch pancakes
crumpets
bread x 2

Tonight we are having tilapia fillets with veggies. Not sure what boys are having.

gaelicsheep Sat 26-Jan-13 17:40:52

But I'm also having freezer envy envy

Virgil Sat 26-Jan-13 17:58:44

We are already snowed in with nearly 10 inches of snow. But I reCkon the two freezers and my store cupboard could feed us for two months so I'm not panicking yet grin

Leilandri Sat 26-Jan-13 20:10:33

Added some bits TO the freezer today hmm but only what is needed on the months meal plan, so will all be gone by end of Feb, taking more of the freezer inhabitants with it too! smile

Roast chicken tomorrow (chook from freezer) with fresh roasties, but sprouts, cauli cheese and broccoli from freezer, 1/2 packet of stuffing mix from cupboard too.

thereistheball Sun 27-Jan-13 03:04:58

Hah - confidently promised DH beef stew last night only to find I'd defrosted pork and lentil soup instead. It was delicious though.

I've only just found this thread, but may I join you?

! have been eating my way through my freezer and cupboards for the last couple of weeks. I'm moving from the US to the UK in a couple of months. DH and DCs have already gone, so I am eating all the things that I've bought over the last few years months that I like and they don't - e.g. couscous, quinoa, beans and pulses.

I might crack and go shopping tomorrow - I am missing green veg/salad now that I've used up all the frozen fruit.

BerylStreep Sun 27-Jan-13 09:05:43

Hi Neither, welcome!

I did my brown rice crust quiche yesterday. It was really good, although I might experiment a bit more with the texture.

Will post the recipe later.

jenduck Sun 27-Jan-13 09:54:38

Welcome to the newcomers & lurkers!

Today we will be attacking the 2kg leg of lamb that was in our chest freezer. My parents & nan are coming to help us with this mammoth task & it will be accompanied by roast potatoes (bought the other day), roast carrots & parsnips from the fridge, cauliflower cheese from the fridge & yorkshire puddings (fridge/storecupboard). We won't do a pudding as such as we have still got at least 4 tins of biscuits & more chocolate than a Cadbury's factory left from Christmas!

Also like the idea of using up toiletries, I have loads of half bottles of things! Had a very bubbly bath last night to start the ball rolling!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now