No veg casserole - will it be tasteless?

(6 Posts)

It will be lovely. I slo-cook this one - www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3571/the-marquess-beef-and-guinness-stew

But I also do it with the veg in, and then don't serve the children the slow-cooked veg (that's mine, all mine). They get veg on the side. Peas (for speed because I forgot till the last minute), or they really like raw carrot, so that's easy.

(I do put onion in; the children pick it out)

Oh yes, i serve the veg on the side, not omit it altogether. I just found it didn't really help the flavour. Is lovely with mash and carrots smile

I always do old fashioned stew/casserole for me and dh but I quite like mushy swede or potato and carrot in it. Kids would hate it. Thought I could do the beef and serve mash or rice and veg on the side. Will give it a try.

Ragwort Thu 17-Jan-13 18:24:20

Sounds very nice smile, my DH much prefers 'stews' done that way, but I always assume you need veg to make it healthier and cheaper.

I cook beef in the slow cooker in just stock. Then add in a bit of Bisto right at the end. It's absolutely lovely. I never could get on with putting veg in the slow cooker too. It all just turned to mush.

Kids are odd and don't like things mixed together. They would eat slow casseroled pork, lamb or beef though I think so I'm wondering whether I could get away with cooking beef low and slow in nothing but red wine and beef stock without onion, stew veg etc? What do you reckon?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now