Please share with me your lamb hot pot recipes

(6 Posts)
Furball Tue 15-Jan-13 09:53:08

I just chuck all mine in the slow cooker - I don't brown anything

41notTrendy Tue 15-Jan-13 09:18:14

Season 1kg of cubed lamb neck fillet (or casserole lamb if you can't find neck) with flour and salt & pepper. Brown it in oil in batches. Remove from pan.
Fry 700g of sliced onions in same pan with a bit more oil, add 1tsp of dried mixed herbs. They need to be soft and golden. Return meat to pan and stir.
Layer 1kg of peeled, sliced potatoes on top (about 5mm thick) and pour over 500ml of lamb stock. Dot butter over the top and salt and pepper.
Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook on lowest shelf of oven for 2 hrs at gas 3, 160.
After 2 hrs remove lid, increase temp to gas 6, 200 and cook for 30-45 mins until potatoes are golden.
This is one of our all time favourites and we are having it this week!!

wibblyjelly Tue 15-Jan-13 09:15:40

Furball, take it that you can cook it in the slow cooker then?

Furball Tue 15-Jan-13 08:44:23

I put in chopped lamb neck fillet, onion, carrot, swede and anything else you fancy like turnip and the like.

i crumble a knorr lamb stock cube, add some boiling hot water (enough to serve the 3 of us with it in gravy) and leave all day to do it's thing.

about 1/2 hour before serving I thicken with mcdougal thickening granules (you could use flour) and maybe add abit of gravy browning if it looks pale

then serve with mash. yum

TitHead Tue 15-Jan-13 08:32:41

Ohhh this is on my list of things to try. Shamelessly marking place and bumping.

wibblyjelly Mon 14-Jan-13 20:48:19

I'd like a recipe for a traditional lamb hot pot. We had a shop bought one the other day, and it was delicious, I'd like to have a go at making one myself. TIA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now