Is marg and vegetable oils ......

(163 Posts)
wildirishrose Sun 13-Jan-13 08:28:48

Bad for you?

Bunbaker Thu 17-Jan-13 12:29:57

"So surely this would mean that cream would also be alright as it is the fat the butter is made from?"

I don't think so as I find that cream gives me the most horrendous diarrhoea and butter doesn't

AdoraBell Thu 17-Jan-13 12:53:17

Lamazeroo

May I ask, please, is there a difference between the pure butter you mentioned and standard butter from the supermarket?

Disclaimer - yes, I know I'm probably just being dim blush

Thumbwitch Thu 17-Jan-13 13:04:21

Butter isn't pure fat. It's at least 80% fat (by law); the rest is water, a bit of salt, a tiny amount of lactose and some residual casein proteins - plus the vitamins and minerals.

GirlOutNumbered Thu 17-Jan-13 13:50:13

Well, I bought some butter and have eaten it and fed my CMP intolerant baby. Fingers crossed.
I had it on a hot cross bun. It was delicious.

Onetwothreeoops Thu 17-Jan-13 17:44:47

Lamazeroo (or anyone else around in the know) when you say butter does that include spreadable butter?

Spreadable butter used to be just butter that had been whipped to include air. Nowadays it is generally butter mixed with vegetable oil. I would avoid.

CobOnTheCorn Mon 21-Jan-13 18:43:42

Would anyone mind if I asked for this thread to be moved in to Food?

I have found it really interesting and I think it's a shame that it will evaporate if it stays in chat.

caramelwaffle Mon 21-Jan-13 19:02:43

Good idea Cob

SnowLiviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-Jan-13 19:04:47

CobOnTheCorn

Would anyone mind if I asked for this thread to be moved in to Food?

I have found it really interesting and I think it's a shame that it will evaporate if it stays in chat.

We'll move this one now.
Thanks for flagging.

ninja Mon 21-Jan-13 22:33:55

My mum has spreadable butter that has no vegetable oil - I think Kerrygold and Loseley - might go and check. Would they be OK?

ninja Mon 21-Jan-13 22:39:49

Looks good ninja.
I just leave my butter out on the side, it's spreadable enough.

caramelwaffle Tue 22-Jan-13 14:54:17

SnowLiviaMumsnet A very witty, clever MN Nickname.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now