I've just made parsnip soup for the first time - wow! What's your favourite cheap and simple soup recipe?

(69 Posts)

I sometimes make tomato soup but this is the first time I've tried making proper soup and it's delicious! Made all the better by the fact that the bag of parsnips were reduced to 20p. grin

What's your best soup recipe?

fuzzpig Wed 02-Jan-13 14:18:45

I'll show you mine (leek and potato) if you'll show me yours grin

JakeBullet Wed 02-Jan-13 14:19:42

Waits with anticipation grin

thornrose Wed 02-Jan-13 14:20:06

I make lots of soup with carrots, so cheap and cheerful. I freeze individual portions. Sweat off onions, add carrots and fry for a bit, add stock to cover (I use a combination of veg bouillon and chicken stock) whizz with stick blender.

thornrose Wed 02-Jan-13 14:21:48

Missed out simmer until soft!

sausagesandwich34 Wed 02-Jan-13 14:22:22

I do carrot soup, tiny bit of honey added when you are sweating off the veg, then a slug of chili when you blitz it

I also add a pinch of mild curry powder to parsnip soup -mmmmm

thornrose Wed 02-Jan-13 14:24:31

Ooh yes, sausages, you reminded me, a bit of ginger and turmeric is nice too.

littletingoddess Wed 02-Jan-13 14:26:50

Cheese and potato (extra mature cheddar for the cheese). :D

Parsnip soup (made up as I went along!).

1 bag parsnips
2 veg stock cubes
Half an onion
Garlic
Rosemary

Fry garlic and onions in a tiny amount of olive oil until soft.
Chop parsnips and chuck in saucepan; add onion and garlic
Crumble stock cubes over chopped parsnips and add boiling water until covered.
Add a generous pinch of rosemary.

Boil until parsnips are soft, then blend. smile

little my mum makes an amazing cheese and onion soup!

That should be simmer until parsnips are soft. blush

thornrose Wed 02-Jan-13 14:30:57

I'll try the parsnip soup, sounds good.

marzipanpig Wed 02-Jan-13 14:32:06

mushroom soup

chop lots of mushrooms and cook very slowly in butter
add chopped onions
vegetable stock cubes x2
2 pints of milk and a bit of sherry
salt pepper and nutmeg
lots of parsley

smile

Ephiny Wed 02-Jan-13 14:33:50

Carrot and lentil is one of my favourites. Fry onions in a little oil, add veg stock along with dried red lentils, a bag of carrots, and a couple of sticks of celery. Simmer until lentils/carrots are soft, then blend and season with coriander. So sweet-tasting and bright-coloured.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 02-Jan-13 14:34:16

Lentil Bacon and Tomato

3oz red lentils
garlic
1 onion
2 carrots
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 thick rashers smoky bacon
Oil
Water

- Chop the onion, garlic, carrots and bacon and sweat in a little oil for about 10 mins
- Add lentils, tomatoes, black pepper and about 1.5 pints water.
- Simmer until everything's tender, add salt, then blend with a hand blender.
- Add more water if it's too thick.

Parsnip and parmesan, it's lovely!

Parboil parsnips for 3 minutes. Heat oven to 200degC. Drain parsnips and toss in 25g grated parmesan. Roast for 35-45 mins till cooked, in olive oil.

Meanwhile finely chop an onion, soften in olive oil. Add 25g plain flour or cornflour, cook for 1 minute. Add parsnips and 1l veg stock, boil for 10 minutes. Blitz till smooth with an additional 25g grated parmesan.

Stir in a little double cream before serving, if you're feeling fancy. Serve with crusty bread.

Had it for dinner last night, and lunch again today grin

starfishmummy Wed 02-Jan-13 14:36:18

Most of my soups are - sweat some onions off, add whatever veg I am using up, sweat off a bit longer; stock or water to cover, boil tiull soft, blend and add seasoniongs as needed.

If I am usinf leafy greens (spinach, watercress etc) I put a potato for "body" and the greens don't go in until everything else is soft

fuzzpig Wed 02-Jan-13 14:38:51

For the L&P (which my mum taught me) all I do is peel/chop some potatoes, and place them in a large pot along with chopped leeks. I think on balance it's probably about 50/50 but I'm not really sure of measurements as I just do it by making it up eye.

Add water but not quite enough to cover it totally. You can also crumble in a veg stock cube and add a large knob of butter grin

Simmer with a lid on the pot (the steam helps cook it) and stir it. When the potatoes are lovely and soft, blend it. The starch from the spuds makes it lovely and thick, but if too thick just add a little milk. I also add pepper at this point.

wheredidiputchristmas Wed 02-Jan-13 15:06:47

I have in my freezer at the moment which I have made

Leek and Potato
Beef and Barley
Bacon, tomato and veg.

We have eaten so will need to make more

French Onion
Roasted pumpkin
tomato

SaggyTitsAndHairyToes Wed 02-Jan-13 15:24:16

i just made leek and sweet potato i will add plenty of pepper and chuck some of the home cook rolls in the oven and serve warm with butter mmmmmm.

Mrsrudolphduvall Wed 02-Jan-13 15:30:36

At the age of 52 I have never ever made soup.
But I will try. To.
Problem is only I would eat it.

Rest of the family won't touch it.

dreamingofsun Wed 02-Jan-13 15:36:24

mrs - i freeze a lot - works really well usually.

Doshusallie Wed 02-Jan-13 15:38:53

Dh is about to make broccolli and Stilton. Yum yum.

FlojoHoHoHo Wed 02-Jan-13 15:42:24

Marks place as i'm too ill to even think about for but one day!

magimedi88 Wed 02-Jan-13 15:55:59

Love parsnip soup but it gives me unbelieveable wind!

Cogito - I make a very similar lentil soup to yours & serve it with a squeeze of lemon & a dollop of natural yogurt.

I also make potato & celery soup - served with grated cheese.

My best soup is Summer soup!

It's summa this & summa that!!! Usually a great clear out of older veg & bits from the fridge. The last one I made had:

Onion, leek, carrot, end of a chinese leaf, 1 rasher of bacon - all sweated off. Then added 1 left over cooked sausage, a few red lentils, the end of a pack of watercress, squeeze of tom puree & water. Boiled till soft & blended. Then seasoned to taste.

The only failure I've ever had with Summer soup is when I added left over roast spuds - really strong weird taste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now