To brown or not to brown?

(6 Posts)
babooshkadoll Sun 30-Dec-12 15:11:45

Making Jamie Oliver's 'Jools favourite stew' tomorrow.
Just read the recipe and he recommends not browning the meat just bunging it all in with the veg.
I have never made a stew without browning the meat first
Anyone tried it ?
Just a bit worried the meat will still be raw with all the veg cooked.

cassell Sun 30-Dec-12 15:14:51

Afaik the purpose of browning the meat is to seal the juices inside the meat so that the flavour/texture is better. Provided you cook the casserole for the recommended time then it'll be cooked but the meat may not be as moist/tasty as if you'd browned it first.

bigbadbarry Sun 30-Dec-12 15:16:39

It will be fine - I don't brown if I am in a hurry and have never noticed a difference. If y are cooking tagine or Thai curry then it is correct not to brown it first. Simon Hopkinson, radically, recommends not browning mince!

magimedi88 Sun 30-Dec-12 15:28:45

BigBarry - am a great fan of SH - can you tell me where he said that, please? Most interested to know - does it mean you wouldn't brown pork & beef mince for lasagne? Wouldn't it all be a bit pale??

bigbadbarry Tue 01-Jan-13 20:06:31

It was in his roast chicken and other stories. I think it still goes brown on cooking, just not a dark brown from frying. And it is mixed in with tomato and what have you, ot sure you'd really notice. I'm away from home at the moment but if I remember I will dig it out when I get home and check I didn't make it up!

magimedi88 Tue 01-Jan-13 22:22:14

thanks BBBarry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now