Veggie sandwich filling ideas please

(15 Posts)
DontForgetTheSproutsLawrence Fri 14-Dec-12 12:19:42

I had brie with chargrilled pepper, courgette and aubergine yesterday.

Was delicious.

mackerella Fri 14-Dec-12 12:11:32

We went through a phase of trying to recreate the Leon superfood wraps: just a plain wrap crammed with avocado, feta cheese, lemon mayo, chopped cucumber and peppers and maybe sprouted seeds. Surprisingly quick to do!

Mature cheddar, Patak's hot lime pickle and sliced tomatoes is also yummy.

I feel your pain: I'm not veggie now, but I was for about a decade and I got so sick of the same three or four sandwich fillings! There are some good some of them slightly worthy suggestions in Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Express book but some of them need a bit of preparation the night before (e.g. honey-roasted aubergine slices with sesame and hummus in pitta).

Also: you don't have to have sandwiches! How about taking some bean/vegetable salads for a change?

ppeatfruit Fri 14-Dec-12 07:29:32

I like peanut butter and marmite mixed with some olive oil to loosen it and then you don't need butter. I also sometimes add tahini to the mix with salad it's delicious and healthyish; i use the no salt yeast extract stuff.

sashh Fri 14-Dec-12 02:40:29

Banana or pear.

Pita bread with salad and olives.

baked or fried tofu.

Lirogiro Thu 13-Dec-12 23:25:59

Oh yes, avocado is a great in a sandwich. Avocado, tomato and grilled haloumi. Ooooooo. I want one now.

famousfifth Thu 13-Dec-12 23:22:49

my current fave is mature cheddar, avacado, spring onion and cherry tomato with mayo ..tis lovely

Ktay Thu 13-Dec-12 23:21:14

Stilton (is that veggie??) and apple or pear

Mozzarella and artichoke is nice, poss with some olive tapenade (you can get it without anchovy paste) to add a bit more flavour

Lirogiro Thu 13-Dec-12 23:10:02

Sliced celery and cream cheese. It takes a bit more work but I love grated apple, carrot and cheese on toast. I have a food processor so I grate it all together in about a minute, stick the mix on toast and then it just needs grilling.
Holland and barret do nice veggie pate in a tube which is nice with salad and they also have great slicing sausage in the frozen section from a company called tivall which is dead tasty with salad or hot with ketchup.

brighthair Thu 13-Dec-12 22:59:04

Ooh onion chutney is good with cheese too especially Brie

brighthair Thu 13-Dec-12 22:58:28

Falafel and hummus

Snowgirl1 Thu 13-Dec-12 22:00:31

And I'm liking the roasted pepper idea too! This is great. DH won't know what's hit his sarnies next week.

Snowgirl1 Thu 13-Dec-12 21:54:29

Ooh, good idea. I've made mozzarella, pesto and tomato sandwiches before but found them a bit lacking flavour - but sun dried tomatoes are a great idea, as are wraps - I've got some of those in the freezer too.

Thanks!

Jayne266 Thu 13-Dec-12 21:46:18

Use pre made stuff it's your friend! I had for lunch roasted pepper with feta cheese and rocket salad in a pitta bread.

Penguinbeaver Thu 13-Dec-12 21:29:17

I like wraps with green pesto, mozzarella, and sun dried tomatoes

Snowgirl1 Thu 13-Dec-12 21:26:52

I make sandwiches for DH & myself everyday and need some ideas for simple, quick fillings. Preferably involving fillings that won't involve eating the same filling every day in order to use up the filling before it goes off, if you understand what I mean.

I currently do fillings like egg mayo, hummus and salad, hummus and carrot, cheese and salad, cheese and tomato, cheese & marmite, brie & grape.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I've done google searches but all the websites have really complicated ideas that I couldn't possibly do in the 5 mins I have in the morning.

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now