Veggie Christmas starter for vegetarian who doesn't eat...

(55 Posts)

...well virtually anything really. Specifically -

mushrooms
blue cheese
chestnuts
soft cheese - brie, camembert etc

Can't have butternut squash or goats cheese as I'm doing a butternut squash, sweet potato and goats cheese pie.

The rest of us are all fairly unfussy omnivores, but one guest is allergic to peppers and anything pepper related so can't use any of these. The DC won't reliably eat any vegetable so I need a non vegetable component to distract them with so the rest of us can eat.

Really struggling for ideas. Please help!

sandripples Sat 15-Dec-12 18:54:37

We are a family with several veggies. I always make (a fortnight or so in advance and freeze it) watercress soup, and just give everyone a very small cupful as a starter (old-fashioned dinner coffee cups). A blob of sour cream and a few chopped chives on top. To my surprise even my teenage DS liked this when I first made this and now its become our traditional starter. Very easy.

Why not bake a Camembert or two and serve with crudités? Carrots, sliced peppers, cucumber etc., nice and fresh in advance of a heavy main course. It's what we're having. Or same idea but with hummus and tzatziki. Keep it simple.

Takver Sun 16-Dec-12 17:39:47

Selks, do you think the port/walnut/stilton pate would go with melon?

And do you think you could make it also with goats cheese? (DH can't eat cow dairy - I'd do cow for most of us, goat for him.)

Thanks to all for helpful thread!

Selks Sun 16-Dec-12 18:00:59

Might be a bit taste overload with melon, I don't know.

Could probably do it with goats cheese; would be different but could be very good. Goats cheese and walnuts go together well.

These are all lovely. I will definitely be making the pate for me grin. I am going to choose tonight smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now