Turkey Crown Tips

(14 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 05-Dec-12 20:17:28

Think I seriously need a bigger freezer bigger kitchen and house

Waswondering Wed 05-Dec-12 17:44:29

Tea - if you google Jamie Oliver's make ahead gravy it'll give you the recipe for chicken wings etc gravy - it's seriously good and can be frozen, so make anytime. HTH!

TeaOneSugar Wed 05-Dec-12 17:41:36

Thanks all, I'm tempted to buy gravy smile but if I can find the time/energy the chicken wings tip sounds ideal.

ByTheWay1 Wed 05-Dec-12 16:56:08

Or buy some M&S gravy - yummmm - I usually pop it in a pan with a glug of red wine and a tablespoon of cranberry - so it is then, of course, "home made".....

inamonthofsundays Wed 05-Dec-12 15:55:30

Until about two weeks ago my top turkey crown tip would be to do something like this. But I recently had a rolled turkey crown and it was brilliant. Small and compact for the oven and sliced beautifully. Any with some skills and a sharp knife around?

One downside of doing a turkey crown is inadequate dripping for a proper pan gravy so you'll need to find another way to make gravy. I would suggest browning a pack of chicken wings and then boiling them up with some carrots, onion, celery and herbs of your preference. Really reduce it down and use that to make gravy. You can always do this in advance and just pour any fat from the pan in to the gravy on the day.

Mmmm, turkey

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 05-Dec-12 11:28:03

Thank you both smile

ByTheWay1 Wed 05-Dec-12 11:26:38

I - push hand under skin to make a pocket, put butter between skin and meat, from years of experience - bog standard Anchor is best, salt and pepper on outside, roast in oven as normal, take it out, rest it under some greaseproof paper/foil covered in a towel or 2 for an hour while the roast spuds crisp up and gravy gets made..

So yep - pretty much as a normal turkey, but you don't have to worry about the breast getting burnt whilst the thick bit of the thigh is still raw etc....

These are the instructions with a Tesco turkey crown bottom of the page

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 05-Dec-12 11:21:04

Don't think mine will be coming with any instructions, I've ordered it from the abattoir!

We follow the instructions that come with it and then rest it for about 30 min under foil while the oven is used to roast things and do stuffing.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 05-Dec-12 11:00:34

Lets hope so!

TeaOneSugar Wed 05-Dec-12 08:57:40

I'm sure someone will come along with some great advice smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 04-Dec-12 21:06:30

Just making my place tea. I've ordered a turkey crown for the first time this year and am also doing a ham smile

TeaOneSugar Tue 04-Dec-12 13:52:31

There's only DH and DD for turkey (unless PIL decide to come last minute - long story), so I've ordered a turkey crown, it should feed 3-5.

I'm also doing a ham so I don't want lots of leftovers.

Does anyone have any top tips for cooking a crown, do you treat it the same as a whole turkey in terms of preparation?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now