Anyone recommend small portion foodstuffs that I can put in a hamper for my nana?

(24 Posts)
silver28 Wed 05-Dec-12 09:41:28

Thanks sashh, went to aldi, m&s and sainsburys yesterday to get a few things, and when I got home realised I had more than filled the 2 boxes I had bought (from poundland grin)

I have included mini bottles of wine (250ml are 3 for £5 at sainsburys) and got a mix of practical (tinned veg etc) and festive treats from aldi (excellent choice there).

I also plan to put in each box a couple of mince pies, a few Florentines and a bit of homemade fudge (each wrapped in cellophane as you suggest, as have already bought some for other gifts) as I'll be making all these things anyway for teacher gifts etc.

I'm really happy with how it's looking and it hasn't cost that much, and at least I know th stuff will get used.

sashh Wed 05-Dec-12 08:18:32

Morrisons do one serving pots of jam/honey/marmalade.

If you get some celephane (?sp) squares you could put a few biscuits in and tie up with a ribbon - looks dead posh.

Don't forget the 'plastic' rather than tinned, Dole (brand) fruit cocktail and jellies are nice.
Lidle have individual panatone.

What about some of the little bottles of wine, like you get on aircraft? You can even get small bottles of champagne.

GlaikitFizzogTheChristmasElf Tue 04-Dec-12 19:55:48

Aldi rooolz troo fakt!

BikeRunSki Tue 04-Dec-12 19:48:45

Individual pots of jelly?
Half size tin condensed milk.
Small pack of nice shortbread fingers
Individual christmas pud

silver28 Tue 04-Dec-12 19:42:48

Just in case anyone is thinking of doing similar, I got lots if things from aldi today. More of the festive type stuff than I originally planned but all looks lovely and was cheap.

silver28 Mon 03-Dec-12 21:38:38

Thanks, we finally have a waitrose near here (oop north) so might pop in as can guarantee they don't shop there normally.

ceeveebee Mon 03-Dec-12 20:31:07

We used to do this for our grandmas when they were alive. We used to buy small pouches from waitrose with nice casseroles or soup in, brand called 'look what we found', they were well appreciated!

silver28 Mon 03-Dec-12 20:12:40

Haha geranium, I'm v happy to say that not only am I not him but I don't even know who he is, as I gave up watching X factor years ago due to the ridiculous sob stories and pantomime characterisation of which you speak!

Geranium3 Mon 03-Dec-12 17:20:42

Silver 28,you are not by any chance christopher from x factor who loves his nan sooooooo much??!!!!!! He is in the over 28 age group too!!!!

silver28 Mon 03-Dec-12 13:37:41

Thanks ouryve. I think I'll go for a combination of everyday items in small sizes (tinned fruit, meat, fish, veg) and a few m&s treats like jam and biscuits, plus a few homemade mince pies. Also need to find a cheap box or basket to put them in, which I'm sure I'll find in el cheapo B&M Bargains!

ouryve Mon 03-Dec-12 12:39:50

Oh - and a Christmas cake. MIL likes Christmas cake, but FIL doesn't, so I always put a small one in for her.

ouryve Mon 03-Dec-12 12:39:11

We always do a hamper for MIL/FIL and include things like tinned curries and stewed steak (a 400g tin is a good portion for 2 not particularly hungry people and half of it can be put in the fridge for later), potted salmon or beef, little individual christmas puddings and things like nice jam and chutney, which MIL enjoys, but doesn't routinely buy. I usually grab the stuff from M&S. They do little tins of cooked meat, too, and i usually put a couple of those in. The 3 for 2 on christmas groceries makes it quite cheap to put a really big hamper together. I also put some nice biccies and chocolates in, but not too many because FIL tends to overindulge and is glucose intolerant.

silver28 Mon 03-Dec-12 12:30:54

Re jams and other things that last a while, I might get a normal sized one but opt for better quality to make it more of a treat.

GlaikitFizzogTheChristmasElf Mon 03-Dec-12 12:29:39

Tea bags, nice coffee, Aldi do packs of individually wrapped madeleines that are scrummy and last a good while! Mini cheeses. Oatcakes. Boxes of Nairns have them wrapped up in 6s.

silver28 Mon 03-Dec-12 12:28:52

*relief not related!

silver28 Mon 03-Dec-12 12:27:53

Yes tinned pies and soup also good. My mum has suggested small tins if veg too.

They can both afford to get these things themselves but hopefully it'll be nice for them to have someone search out son different things/brands for them. I'm also going to put some small pieces of cheese and packs if crackers in, plus make some mince pies and give them 3 or 4 each. It's such a related to have thought if something they might actually appreciate, as have done gloves/scarves/smelliest far too many times!

chrisrobin Mon 03-Dec-12 12:25:33

Little pots of custard/ rice pudding, mini jam pots, single serving sachets of hot chocolate.

What about tins of soup.

For my grandad we used to do soups, tinned puddings and veg. But also put in treats as wells favorite biscuits for example.

Supermarkets, just Tesco or Sainsbury's, do small meat / steak and kidney puddings in a tin, for one person. They're usually alongside the Fray Bentos pies.

silver28 Mon 03-Dec-12 12:00:17

Thanks everyone, these are all good suggestions. Was just in booths and they do those small tins of red salmon there too. If anyone has any more suggestions they'd be gladly received then I'll try to work out which supermarkets I need to visit (might get away with going to one if the main ones, plus lidl and maybe m&s or waitrose (not sure why but I feel compelled to include some posher stuff, I guess it seems like a treat compared to morrisons where they normally shop, although they're perfectly happy with practical, everyday stuff!). !

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 03-Dec-12 10:29:31

3x80g of tinned tuna here

You get this format - ie 3x80g in all the tuna formats, eg in oil, in brine, weightwatchers have a version...

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 03-Dec-12 10:26:47

Ooh, in Lidl, you can get packs of 5 40g bars of chocolate. I may be addicted to them, as they stop me troughing a whole giant bar. There is packs of milk, dark, white etc. It's nice chocolate but it's also Lidl so not too 'posh' for them!

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 03-Dec-12 10:25:05

Those snap pots of Heinz beans / spaghetti? like this - ir the mini cans?
Also you can get some sachets of tomato soup, plus the other popular flavours that you just add to water here

You can get sachets of ht choc, Horlicks etc. Also cappucinos etc if they wanted to go all modern?!

Love the idea! May copy it for great granny in a home!

silver28 Mon 03-Dec-12 10:19:41

I'm putting together hampers for my nana and great aunt for Christmas and am looking for recommendations. They each live alone and hate waste so I want to get things that come in small portions, eg small tins of fruit cocktail or pink salmon. They'd prefer things which aren't 'fancy' (hence thinking along the lines of fruit cocktail and tinned salmon!). Re tinned stuff, I'm aiming for extra small tins, as they don't eat a lot and the while point if this is to search out items which will serve one portion without having to eat up leftovers/leave waste.

I can go to any supermarket/m&s as have completed the rest of my xmas shopping grin and have time to spare. Rather avoid the hell that is Tesco if possible though!

Thanks in anticipation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now