Best butter substitute?

(14 Posts)
ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 30-Nov-12 14:58:22

I am a vegan I'm going to attempt a Christmas cake this weekend and can't use butter. Should I substitute the butter with margarine, or a solid fat like Cookeen?

espanol Fri 30-Nov-12 15:00:31

Margarine but not a cheap one.

espanol Fri 30-Nov-12 15:02:38

By which I mean not the baking margarines like stork - my mum used those for a while but found that flora etc are better tasting in cakes.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 30-Nov-12 15:04:58

Thank you :-) I will just use my usual eating margarine :-)

PolterGoose Fri 30-Nov-12 17:32:19

I use Pure margarine for baking when I don't want to use butter and when I cook for my vegan sister. It is by far the best non-butter as it doesn't have a margariney taste.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 30-Nov-12 20:30:23

Good! smile That's what i have smile

espanol Sat 01-Dec-12 09:27:32

Oh yes that's the one - couldn't remember the name but used it in a cake for friend's dairy intolerant DS and I was impressed with the taste!

TellMeLater Mon 03-Dec-12 20:58:52

I'd use a non flavoured oil - margarine is horrid stuff.

PoppadomPreach Mon 03-Dec-12 21:00:21

I agree with TellMeLater - I have used groundnut oil in cakes which worked well (and it does not have a strong flavour which is good)

BloooCowWonders Mon 03-Dec-12 21:42:16

Pure is good but cakes don't rise with it as they do with butter. But for a Christmas cake it shouldn't matter.

M&S dairy free sunflower spread. It's pretty good in cooking better than the others I've tried.

PolterGoose Tue 04-Dec-12 09:35:24

BlooCow, I've found that sponges rise more with Pure than with butter confused

midori1999 Wed 05-Dec-12 11:30:50

Block stork is dairy free, not sure if it's vegan though? It's different to tub stork and has a higher fat content, so works more like butter in a cake, although it obviously doesn't taste like butter.

I think stork contains fish oils

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now