Your Family's Number One Meal, please share.

(94 Posts)
NigellaEllaElla Mon 19-Nov-12 18:14:24

I'm losing the will to live with the endless meal production in this house.

So thought instead of asking for everyone's meal plan I would just ask for your most returned to, always a hit, most commonly produced meal in your house.

Hoping to find some inspiration.....

Back2Two Sat 12-Jan-13 14:43:10

This is a really handy thread with some good ideas. Can't wait to try lentil soup, nigellas chicken/pork and dramas honey pork!

Ds1.... ideal meal would be soemthing like Lentil Dahl or pasta puttenesca (tomatoes, olives, capers) Anything with no meat is preferred. He always eats his veg.
Ds2..... A whole spit roast animal would suit him nicely which he would happily gnaw on with not an accompaniment in sight (and a glass of mead perchance!)

Dh and I love food! Family meals that work well are curries, pasta, pizza!, roasts, casseroles etc.

sharond101 Sat 12-Jan-13 08:50:32

Thank you drama

Honey pork, soften a chopped up leek in wok, brown off 500g of pork add any other veg, add one chicken stock cube in 1/2 pint of water and 4 tablespoons of honey (although I usually use more!) Leave to reduce, this seems to take aged but sudden happens very quickly. Serve with rice. smile

tittytittyhanghang Fri 11-Jan-13 20:48:49

Stovies. Onion tatties cornbeef oxos and dripping. Used to be a cheap meal to make as well but the 2 or 3 tins of cornbeef needed is ridiculously expensive nowadays.

Keznel Fri 11-Jan-13 20:43:03

Roast chicken dinner here too grin with the roast spuds done in a pampered chef stone dish - deeeeelicious! Followed closely by a chicken/brocolli/peach bake, the peaches put alot of people off, but if you don't mind that bit of sweet in your savoury it's lovely.

PoppyWearer Thu 10-Jan-13 22:37:10

Roast chicken dinner with Yorkshire puds
Pasta bake
Sausage casserole
Bangers and mash
Jacket spuds with tuna and sweetcorn
Spaghetti and meatballs
Macaroni cheese

Tinned Heinz spaghetti on toast always a good standby!

sharond101 Thu 10-Jan-13 22:31:30

Dramajustfollowsme can you be more precise with the honey pork recipe please.

Spanish Chicken (chicken, peppers, onions, garlic, paprika in passata) with rice.
Sussex chicken (not when we are on a diet.) chicken breast with a crumb made from a packet of ready salted crisps and cheese, baked in the oven with chips.
Honey pork, leeks, peas, carrots, chopped up cheap cuts of pork, chicken stock cube and heaps of honey, reduces to a sticky loveliness!

Snowkey Thu 10-Jan-13 07:22:55

Steak! Doesn't happen often.
Did some lamb Shawarma last week, it went down incredibly well - think home made donner kebab.

Rice pudding, served cold, out of the tin, with an apple for desert!

Tuppence2 Wed 09-Jan-13 19:22:58

My mum's roast chicken dinner (has to be my mums!)
Or just for me and dd, tuna pasta
Tuna Pasta Recipe and usually add in peas and grated carrot or chopped peppers

Savechamges Wed 09-Jan-13 18:57:29

Roast chicken dinner then Spag Bol!

NatashaBee Wed 09-Jan-13 18:52:08

www.nigella.com/recipes/view/maple-chicken-and-ribs-18

Nigella ribs recipe that bickie mentioned - think i'm going to give that one a go!

My fall back meal at the min is chicken chassuer I make it with thighs/drumsticks so its very cheap.

Spag Bol natch

Sausage and baked bean casserole (in the slow cooker) and pasta

bickie Wed 09-Jan-13 13:08:47

great idea for a post
Roast Chicken - has to be with cauliflower cheese
Home made pizza - they like doing own toppings
Unitl last night would have said beef or chicken stew - but have just had the request to please stop with the stews! (I am a slow cooker addict)
Indoor burgers - or rissoles as they are called in Australia
Tomato soup fav - but do lots of soups depending on what is rotting in veg drawer.
Pies - particularly chicken and leek
Home made chicken nuggets - make them with quite a bit of minced garlic and pass them off as chicken croquettes so they also pass as adult dinner.
Home made fish bites - add a chili dipping sauce for adult version.
Lentil soup is one i used to do and forgot about - will try recipe posted above - looks good.
Chicken crepes - shredded left over roast chicken in white sauce and then rolled in a crepe and baked in oven.
Meatballs always popular - good for in slow cooker.
Nigella Lawson has a ribs 'n' chicken maple syrup recipe which you can bag up and freeze and then have ready for cooking. I am sure it will be on the internet but let me know if can't find it.

Nabootique Tue 08-Jan-13 12:14:44

DD (almost 3): beef stew, chicken casserole or anything with pasta (bolognese, meatballs, salmon, herbs, garlic and red peppers)

DH: Homemade burgers

Me: creamy pasta with mushrooms, garlic, bacon and peas, or chicken, leek and mushroom pie

multitaskmama Mon 07-Jan-13 16:01:03

Indian food: I can never have enough of a good lamb biryani or a chicken jalfrezi

Other: I love homemade pizza on wholemeal wrap as a base, its just divine. The thinness of the base means you get more flavour from the pasta sauce and veggies! :

Kids: Love home-made jumbo cod or haddock fish fingers (frozen or fresh fish). I can never make enough of these! Also, home-made wedges (no par-boiling) made by smothering potatoes cut into wedges with olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs. Bake for 45 mins! Divine!

KnittyFoxyMa Thu 06-Dec-12 20:14:09

oven baked bacon and cherry tomato risotto. never any leftovers.
daal and rice.
calzone.

Soodles Thu 06-Dec-12 12:42:14

The stuff I love we never seem to have often enough, SHEPHERD'S PIE!

goralka Tue 04-Dec-12 23:30:49

tagliatelle carbonara - fry bacon bits and cook tagliatelle - whisk up one egg plus as many more egg yolks as there are people - throw the drained tagliatelle into the pan with the fried bacon in it, take off the heat and put the eggs through it...goes down a treat every time - add parmesan and black pepper as you like.

forevergreek Tue 04-Dec-12 23:21:22

Chicken and mushroom risotto

SweetMingePie Tue 04-Dec-12 23:20:23

At the moment we are enjoying chilli con carne with nachos and rice, lasagne and chicken chorizo stew done in the slow cooker

AcidTurkishBath Tue 04-Dec-12 23:16:41

Shepherd's Pie is our favourite to eat but takes too long to cook. Pasta and tomato sauce or pesto is what we have most often.

Is it possible to do the brown sugar ham in an ordinary fan oven?

voodoomunkee Fri 30-Nov-12 00:16:27

Spag Bol again! Although fussy ds doesn't eat it.....
Chicken wraps, although as they are based on fajita's can be expensive.
Beef casserole/beef in red wine/ale plus additions to bulk it out
Fry up night.
The night I refuse to slave over a hot stove and it's a free for all for things that can go inbetween/on top of bread.
Tonight we had chicken and chips.
But the overall ultimate winner is a gammon/ham joint, thrown in the slow cooker with a couple of spoons of brown sugar, left on low and served many hours later with just about anything! There is literally nothing left when I serve it up. We have it with bread, chips, mash, eggs, beans, veg,, anything! If I feel flush and buy a much bigger joint then some goes in a broth the next day. A basics ham joint is equally as good.
Good thread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now