Nibbles for a party - can I be bothered?

(27 Posts)
Trills Sun 18-Nov-12 10:20:06

I have strict requirements:

Must be able to eat with one hand (other hand is holding booze)
No more than 2 bites per item (or else you get a bit bored)
Nothing that needs dipping or assembling (because you only have one hand and you want to be able to wander off, not stick by the dip)
No crumblyness (down cleavage)
No faffing required (because it's me who would be doing the faffing)

Shall I just stick to cheese stars, mini sausage rolls, party rings, crisps, sweeties in a bowl, etc?

Or do you have brilliant ideas?

This is for a housewarming party with adults with reasonably low expectations. Thy would go "ooh, sausage rolls" with a grin face because it's a bit nostalgic and a bit tasty and actually quite good for soaking up booze. Not "sausage rolls, are we five?" with a hmm face.

We have brewed a barrel of ale (it is nice, I'e checked) and will be making mulled wine.

nocluemum Fri 23-Nov-12 11:57:01

couple of bags of frozen cocktails sausages in a roasting tray with a jar of honey and mixed up. oven about 160c for about an hour. tricky bit is you need to go in every 10 mins or so to mix them round a bit or they burn or stick. I usually time them to be ready the exact time people are meant to arrive then chuck them in a bowl with tinfoil over the top. Cool down slowly and go all sticky. delish.

Trills Sun 18-Nov-12 11:30:47

They are tasty but liable to drip oil everywhere.

div22c Sun 18-Nov-12 11:19:42

Peppadews stuffed with Philly, yummy

Trills Sun 18-Nov-12 11:14:47

I'm going to do cheese stars so there will be baked cheesy goodness. I am not allowed to host a party without cheese stars. I have some friends who won't let me in the door of their party if I am not bearing cheese stars. They are so good that it is a curse.

(bastardised Nigella recipe: 3 cheese, 2 flour, 1 butter, make into pastry-type dough, roll, cut out, cook)

Pascha Sun 18-Nov-12 11:13:26

Ohh yes. A prawn ring! What else is necessary?

LolaDontCryOverSlitThroats Sun 18-Nov-12 11:13:15

''Probably better than rat not-on-a-stick?''

Favorite. Post. Ever.

Pascha Sun 18-Nov-12 11:12:58

I did cheesy scones with cayenne pepper yesterday and made twists with the leftover dough. (DS helped to put the grated cheese-and-associated-bogeys in)

Trills Sun 18-Nov-12 11:12:56

Am I allowed? I am not a mum. I thought only mums were allowed to go to Iceland?

BalloonSlayer Sun 18-Nov-12 11:10:27

Get down to Iceland and buy some party platters. Then you will have a fantastic party as classy as the ones Kerry Katona throws.

Trills Sun 18-Nov-12 11:06:33

I made my own breadsticks once, one day when I was feeling extra-bothered.

Pascha Sun 18-Nov-12 11:03:49

Rat with ketchup ok. Inna bun.

Pascha Sun 18-Nov-12 11:03:29

You could get creative...

Trills Sun 18-Nov-12 11:03:23

Probably better than rat not-on-a-stick?

Pascha Sun 18-Nov-12 10:55:20

Not rat tho...

Trills Sun 18-Nov-12 10:52:10

Skewers!

Food onna stick is always better than food that is not onna stick!

Pascha Sun 18-Nov-12 10:49:03

Actually looking through all the Sainsburys party bites section you could just get spring rolls, samosas, satay skewers, tempura prawns ready to serve.

Trills Sun 18-Nov-12 10:47:08

Chicken wings break a number of my rules at the top - fiddly to eat and create a load of mess.

I'm not against hot stuff. Hot stuff could be good.

Pascha Sun 18-Nov-12 10:45:27

Well you could use bratwürst I suppose...

Ok not hot stuff then. Cold chicken wings? Cheese sandwich?

Trills Sun 18-Nov-12 10:37:11

One party we bought a whole load of frozen pizza to put in the oven "later" and didn't get around to it.

Trills Sun 18-Nov-12 10:36:50

Little cocktail sausages...?

Ooh yes chocolate fingers.

Pascha Sun 18-Nov-12 10:35:08

Add punctuation to suit ^^ hmm

Pascha Sun 18-Nov-12 10:34:32

Me? I would eat all the sausages and the pringles. Then all the chocolate fingers. Hot thingys in the oven can be done quickly pizza is easy to hold a largish slice and wander round with beer.

In fact, call Dominoes and save all the fuss.

Trills Sun 18-Nov-12 10:32:37

So you think hot thingys that you stick in the oven?

I am going to sort out a Sainsburys order today (to arrive Friday, party Saturday) so I'll see what they have.

Which bits do you like best?

Pascha Sun 18-Nov-12 10:32:11

Go to the supermarket and get Cheesy footballs, twiglets and pringles. Cheese and pineapple on a stick and some of those sausages with the bacon round them (bogof) in tesco at the moment. Stick a pizza in the oven.

Chocolate fingers and quality street.

Voila!

ChablisLover Sun 18-Nov-12 10:31:21

At this time of year I wouldn't faff about but would let m&s party food take the strain! Or any other supermarket (must admit Iceland is very reasonable with their party food blush)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now