Would you like to help us test recipes for the Mumsnet Cookbook?

(850 Posts)
CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 24-Sep-12 13:02:59

Shhh .. don't tell everyone but we're working on a top secret new project in the form of The Mumsnet Cookbook and we need your help.

We'd like to get together a Mumsnet Cookbook cookery group to stop us from piling on the pounds help us test these shortlisted recipes.

Each volunteer will be allocated a recipe which they'll then cook for their family and give us some feedback on how easy, hard, good, bad, expensive etc they are and whether they'd make it again. All the recipes chosen were submitted over the years by Mumsnetters, so there shouldn't be any outlandish shock or particularly difficult to source ingredients - and they should all be pretty easy to make (we hope!).

As a thank-you, we'll be putting everyone who helps out into a prize draw to win a Bloomsbury cookbook.

And if that's not enough of an incentive, everyone who helps will have their *Mumsnetter nickname featured in the cookbook's acknowledgements.

gazzalw Sat 24-Nov-12 11:23:51

Catherine I made the vegetable tart but forgot to take a photo...oops!

Melty Sun 25-Nov-12 13:49:01

I did the tomato tart.
It was rather sick inducing. Creme fraiche does not work. Needs either rictotta/parmesan mix, or a mozzarella/gruyere/parmesan mix.
Still feel a bit nauseus.

BlameItOnTheCuervHoHoHo Sun 25-Nov-12 13:56:38

Can I do one please? I love cooking.

Me, me, me (please)

snowballinashoebox Sun 25-Nov-12 20:57:30

mignonette lovely banana muffin recipe. Worked a treat.

gazzalw Mon 26-Nov-12 07:35:58

Did yours have creme fraiche in too, Melty? Our veggie tart did and it didn't totally permeate through the pie so it looked like a wedge of cheese sitting on top of the veggies!

Melty Mon 26-Nov-12 08:30:30

Yes. The whole base of it was creme fraiche mixed with parmesan and basil. In theory the flavours were ok.
In practice it was too wet (making the base soggy) and sickly. We cut a slice each and binned the rest.
I felt sick for the rest of the day.

gazzalw Mon 26-Nov-12 09:30:34

Yuk!

Chepstowmonkey Mon 26-Nov-12 10:11:05

Oh know I forgot to do my feedback last night for the banana muffins -sorry MN HQ. I'm on my phone today but it'll do it when I get tonight. Mignonette - they were however totally delicious so the feedback comments should be simple and just consist of "yum yum yum!". I made them on Friday with the intention of taking then away with us on Saturday to save spending money on snacks. However DH arrived home from work as they were just coming out of the oven and if I had not hidden them I really think him and DD would have eaten the whole batch.

We will definitely be making them again.

Chepstowmonkey Mon 26-Nov-12 10:23:02

Okay - several typos in that last message - oopps!

Monday morning. Need more coffee, and guess what, I saved one banana muffin just for me so I think I will eat it now.

Delicious!

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 26-Nov-12 11:01:15

Morning everyone - looks like we're still after someone to try the Asparagus and Smoked Salmon recipe out for us. Any takers who can make it over the next few days?

DameMargotFountain Mon 26-Nov-12 11:48:19

i'll have a go at the Asparagus tart tomorrow if you like, but only if i can get the asparagus today

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 26-Nov-12 12:25:01

DameMargotFountain - thanks! That's very helpful.

We're also after more recipes for our Sunday lunch chapter, so if you have a foolproof favourite recipe that your family loves for Sunday lunch - please add it here and let me know when you do - so I can check them out as them come in.

mignonette Mon 26-Nov-12 16:15:51

Snowballina and Chepstow

I cannot tell you how pleased I am to hear you both liked the muffins. I have been so anxious that the recipe worked as you know what sod's law is when you submit a recipe that you describe as having always worked and then.......

My DD has a reliable and lovely recipe for Raspberry Muffins if you are still looking for more baking...

snowballinashoebox Mon 26-Nov-12 16:31:42

raspberry muffins you say? delishsmile I did forget the banana chips though and I liked all the hints you added. Sorry we kept you in suspense for so long!

mignonette Mon 26-Nov-12 16:33:59

The banana muffins recipe is the ultimate versatile bake. I add so many different things to it. And it has never backfired on me.

Melty Mon 26-Nov-12 18:42:45

Have added a Sunday Lunch recipe.

boredbuthappy Tue 27-Nov-12 00:27:23

Awww...I've only just seen this! If this is still going on, and you still need recipe testers, I would LOVE to help!

Lesbanian Tue 27-Nov-12 01:58:24

I am just learning how to cook so if you would like to know how a complete novice gets on with the recipes i would love to have a go.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 28-Nov-12 16:01:41

Thanks Melty - more Sunday lunch recipes would be appreciated!

Boredbuthappy and Lesbanian - don't worry, we'll be back with more to test soon.

JustBlameItOnTheCuervoDude Wed 28-Nov-12 18:07:38

I have some pudding recipes. and a salmon pie.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 29-Nov-12 11:29:31

Justblameitonthecuervodude - great - can you add them in Recipes here

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 29-Nov-12 11:30:13

Mignonette - we may need that raspberry muffin recipe. Have you added it to Recipes?

mignonette Thu 29-Nov-12 13:01:08

Have added Berry Muffin recipe.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 03-Dec-12 14:25:10

Should have some more recipes - sweet and savoury - for testing tomorrow if anyone's interested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now