Warning -Aspartame now in J20 Apple and Mango

(82 Posts)
Nansrus Tue 13-Dec-11 15:23:39

I have a couple of family members who have an allergic reaction to aspartame. It is real, as when unknowingly given some when dining out the reaction has been immediate. So I always search for drinks for them without aspartame for when they come round. J20 has always been a firm favourite and imagine my horror when I went to serve some the other day and just checking casually found it had aspartame in! I e mailed the company and the response
" I can confirm that we have added Aspartame to only the J2O Apple and Mango flavour.

As we are sure you will appreciate, we carry out extensive consumer research before putting any products in to the market place and we have found this product to be popular with our consumers. It is, however, extremely difficult to formulate a product to suit every palate. "

Why it was fine with sugar,why add aspartame as well you don't need both!

Leave the b*** drink alone.

Well ok, but its crap for other people

Civilon Mon 19-Dec-11 01:33:26

Yes, please do quote me. Get the bastards to take some responsibility.

I hate all the blardy cover-up about health issues.

jasper Mon 19-Dec-11 01:38:30

Allergic is one thing.
Not much evidence for the other scaremongering stuff

I know it makes me feel like shite..

No peer-reviewed meta-analysis to back that, but what ever wink

Civilon Mon 19-Dec-11 01:47:17

Yeah, time for the old cliche to come out: the plural of anecdotes is not data, blah blah blah.

Civilon Mon 19-Dec-11 01:48:19

Anyway cancer in rats is pretty strong evidence.

I do know we're not rats, though.

Oh.. of all people I'm the one to say that the pleural of anecdote isn't data grin

(because I understand these things, innit wink )

Civilon - rats are used for a ver ver good reason. They wouldn't waste a million rat/mouse lives for shits and giggles.

oooh, aren't I arsery tonight.

soz.

Civilon Mon 19-Dec-11 01:55:30

And the people who come out with that cliche can never spell.

I understand both medicine and the English language.

<< hoists bosom>>

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

bruffin Mon 19-Dec-11 07:20:11

The point to me is that it is used unnecessarily by the drinks industry to save money.
It tastes vile and ruins the taste of anything it is put in.
If people want to buy diet drinks with artificial sweeteners it is up to them, but artificial sweeteners should be banned from any thing else.

Civilon Mon 19-Dec-11 09:25:32

And the people who keep coming out with the cliche "The plural of anecdotes is not data" are also rude and abusive. I wonder if there's a correlation.

Worraloadofoldshit Mon 19-Dec-11 22:32:35

We avoid anything which has artificial sweeteners listed in the ingredients.
Its nasty, harmful, vile rubbish, and tastes as it costs: CHEAP!
We'd rather have the sugar. (and no, we are not an overweight bunch here! wink )

Aspartame. Worraloadofoldshit.

Civilon Tue 20-Dec-11 00:43:20

Sugar is less harmful than aspartame, which should be banned.

I didn't know it was in Calpol - that's scandalous.

FrothingBeserker Tue 20-Dec-11 10:42:34

It's not aspartame in Calpol (or at least it wasn't in the sugared version about 3 years ago when I last read the ingredients). But the sugared version is not jsut sugar, it also has sweeteners. which kind of defeats the object, surely?

Nansrus Tue 20-Dec-11 17:03:21

I am having difficulty in finding all the ingredients for all Calpols on- line, just have to go in Boots pick them all up and write down the ingredients!

But,Calpol Six Plus Fastmelts contain aspartame, which is a source of phenylalanine equivalent to 0.04 mg/250 mg tablet. The phenylalanine in the tablets may be harmful to people with phenylketonuria.(PKU)
Also on the sugar free Calpol it contains E214, E216, E218 which are not allowed to be used in France and Australia and not recommended to be consumed by children! So what the hell are they doing in Calpol.

Nansrus Thu 22-Dec-11 11:59:23

Still searching.

PreHeatedOven Sat 24-Dec-11 00:21:20

Sorry to just jump in here.
I avoid aspartame always but are there others I should be avoiding to?
I give my dc Calpol normally Boots own. Worrying about their little brains now.
I was drinking Sainsburys own soft drinks as they don't use aspartame, well cola zero doesn't.
Does anyone actually know how long aspartame stays in the body?

I'm so sorry for so many questions but goggle is a minefield and people in RL when I've mentioned aspartame and it's effects have looked at me as if I am mad or lying. hmm

PreHeatedOven Sat 24-Dec-11 00:22:02

OP I am shocked by the sugar free cal

PreHeatedOven Sat 24-Dec-11 00:22:19

Calpol* Info

JollySantaJackrum Sat 24-Dec-11 00:29:20

I got little ones Calpol for my DS the other day and read the ingredients of both the sugar and sugar free versions. Neither said aspartame or that they contained a source of phenylalanine.

I check labels obsessively for aspartame. I'm disappointed by this change to j2o.

PreHeatedOven Sat 24-Dec-11 08:58:50

Thanks Jolly

droves Sat 24-Dec-11 18:46:41

Its really thoughtless that manufactures use this in food drink and medicines ....do they not care about people with pku ?

ParkerRocks Sat 24-Dec-11 19:06:16

My DD has PKU, the sugared Calpol does not contain aspartame. It contains sucrose, E420, E214, E216, E218 and E122. I have checked and checked again and checked again! Aspartame is E951. As far as i understand they are not allowed to use it in infant medicines but I do still check everything every time and i think its out of order it is in the six plus calpol.

TBH droves I don't think the manufacturers care about PKU sufferers at all, just their profit margins. angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now